Canandaigua lake ice

mottman32

Any ice on the lake yet? Or any reports on honeyoe?

I talked to a guy that fell through yesterday at the south end of Canandaigua on 3" of sketchy ice. Lucky his buddy pulled him out with a rope. This snow will mess up any little ice that formed.

Honeoye has had ice for the past few days but not sure how thick and again the snow will probably slow down the formation of it (insulate things) on any body of water. First and last ice is always the most dangerous....(speaking from experience). A lot of people don't realize that even if you are able to get yourself out....hypothermia can kill you anyway and with frigid temperatures and wind it only takes a very short time despite what some videos suggest....especially when you factor in wind and being way out on the ice. Your legs and arms become numb very quickly and you are unable to move on your own. I'm anxious to get into the ice fishing season too but  DON'T TAKE ANY CHANCES FOLKS (wait for safe ice)

Edited by Sk8man

I won't venture out on Oneida until there is AT LEAST a good 12".

That's just me, but then again, I've been in the water before.

Takes a good time, and turns it into a bad time in about 1.3 seconds flat.

I've got plenty in the freezer to hold me until the ice is safe.

Today there was some ice starting at the north end of Canandaigua between Kershaw and Seager's and around Squaw Island (out to the south about 60ft or so) but it looks as though it will be awhile for any significant ice at the north end. The bubbler near the Canandaigua Lady reminded me of another caution: the currents from bubblers can circulate outward from their origin for large distances under what seems like good ice (undercuts it)....until you step on it.....a lesson that cost my son and I our cell phones last year on Honeoye :(:o

Edited by Sk8man

Lots of people fishing up north. Goose Bay, Eel Bay, Chippewa Bay, Black Lake, to name a few. We did get about 8" of snow this weekend which will make the going a bit more difficult and insulate the ice that has formed but it's going down well below zero tonight. Tug Hill got hammered with about 5' of snow but we missed all the lake affect last week.