Cracked lower unit?

bout time

I winterize the boat by running by running 5 gallons antifreeze through the system and the out drive. Never had a problem in years. I was snow blowing around the boat today and noticed there is antifreeze on top of the fresh snow. It appears to have come out of the bottom of the lower unit right in front of the prop . Bad sign???????

Is it possible that it was "spillage" somewhere on the motor after running the stuff through and then "dripped down" with time? I'd clear the stuff away and then placefresh snow there and see if it continues...and see if you can better identify where it is coming from...the prop housing?

Edited by Sk8man

I had the same problem, I cover my lower unit with a heavy construction trash bag, I noticed that the bag had a bulge in it so I took it off and red antifreeze was in it, I panicked thinking the worse, after inspecting the situation I realized that when I pumped the antifreeze into the motor I did it in the driveway and now I moved it off the driveway and cranked the front up so the snow and water runs off the tarp I cover her with, the red juice ran out of the motor and out the exhaust. I cranked it up a little more and same thing, so I just left it that way and put my bag back over the outdrive. Just waiting for spring brown season ONLY 4 1/2 months to go. I hope for your sake this is the same issue. Happy Holidays to all and a good new year!!    PAP

I get the marine anti freeze,  its green and also  protects to a lower temp. May cost more but worth peace of mind when temps drop to - #. 

I also saw this when I moved my boat and raised the front, I have an I/O so must have been in motor and drained out as all was good the folowing year,  Hope your ok..

Rick

Edited by Prime Time 2

I would agree with PAP, probably came from exhaust. As above post said (sorry forgot who posted it), inspect the bellows under the gimble ring. To ease your mind drain the oil and do a pressure/vacuum test (can use brake tester from autozone which is free). My outdrive did crack and at first only noticed a small 1/4 dent that was leaking. Once I removed the drive and sanded the paint there was an 8" crack. Was able to get it welded.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I get the marine anti freeze,  its green and also  protects to a lower temp. May cost more but worth peace of mind when temps drop to - #. 

I also saw this when I moved my boat and raised the front, I have an I/O so must have been in motor and drained out as all was good the folowing year,  Hope your ok..

Rick

I never knew that they made marine grade/green antifreeze? plus the pink-red stuff is good to 50 below, 70 % anti freeze and 30 % water Prime Time is correct the green protects down to -100 degrees, at $11.89  and the Marine and RV antifreeze is good to 50 below at $2.99 a gallon. Using the green does give one a piece of mind but I can't remember the last time I saw 50 below, and remember it's not going to get rock hard at 50 below also it will jell up. I would say 60 below before the pink gives up. So at $2.99 5 gallons is 15 bucks before the GOV comes into play and the green is $59.00. for 5 gallons, So there the price difference and effectiveness.

Edited by pap