Advice for killing dogs?

JakeyBaby

In the past I have hunted for fox and coyotes will little to no success. This year I really want to put alot more time in and take some of these critters down! Was hoping to get some info from guys that know what they are doing when it comes to being successful on a regular basis. Such as best conditions to go, night time vs day, best calls rabbit, pups, mouse, hunting over a field or in cover.... those kind of things.

Thanks Alot,

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For dogs me and my buddies hunt strictly fields. Hunting day vs night has more to do with daytime temps than anything. Early in the yr before december we hunt almost strictly at night. We hunt tye nights with no moon so its harder for them to see you. You will kill almost 5 foxes to every coyote. We start almost every setup with a low volume rabbit distress. Then after a series or 2 if nothing shows up then increase the volume. If nothing shows up then switch to a pup distress and that will usuallly bring them runing. The most important things about calling them is always have the wind in your face and DONT OVER CALL. We never call for more than a min at a time. We will call for 30 seconds to a minute then go quiet for 2 to 5 mins. If the day temps are below say 25 degrees then we will hunt them all during the day. We do pretty much the samething but in the day we use ghillie suits cause they have incredible eyes. We also use an electric caller with a decoy that moves it keeps their attention away from you plus it puts a visual with the sounds. Also longer setups in the daytime say 45 mins to an hour and 20 to 30 mins at night. We also call in a good number of racoons at night. Good luck and be safe out there after dark.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We have usually set up downwind of a good piece of thick cover, and use a Fox Pro call(used to have a Johnny Stewart cassette-type).

I nothing happens in about 1/2 hr, move on to the next piece.

We always have one of us with a shotgun, in case one comes flying right in close, and the other one carrys a rifle.

Awsome info guys thanks!! How far will you guys usally move before resetting up again? Also best caliber to use, is a 22 or 17 to small?

we try to get alteast a half mile away before we set up again.  when we hunt monro county we use a 12 guage and a 22 magnum  when hunting counties where centerfire rifles are legal we trade 22 mag for 223 or 22-250

Also how long will u wait to return to a stand site? I would guess u can educate them pretty quick?

we usually only hunt the same setup 3 or 4 times a year cause yes the get educated very quickly  Dont miss 1 cause you odds of ever calling it back in is almost 0

Hey dog hunters. Do the small handheld electronic calls have enough volume or should I purchase a large one . Also what are some of the best mouth calls to use and when. Thanks!

the small hand held calls are ok for night time hunting when there isnt alot of noise or they are good for when you set up within 100 yrd of a thicket   i use primos hand calls almost exclusivley   i carry a rabbit distress, a kiy yi,  a mini howler and a  mouse sqeaker  female howler works good late in the season 

I use a johnny stewart caller, Coyote pup in distress kills them every time,  Hunt them at night, They'll let you know when there coming, No silent dogs with this call, Get pretty close and crazy at times, So your gonna want atleast  one shotgun for close action. Normally more than one coyote shows up, You'll hear the whole pack howling, Just turn your caller up and down silent, They can't stand it when they don't hear the pup anymore, Get ready there coming on a mission.   And yes I've called the same pack back in the same field two nights in a row.

All good advice, but if you are hunting a metro area try a distressed kitten call.  They love cats.  Keep the wind in your favor and stay alert..some times they come in and take back off in a matter of seconds.  My buddy uses a SBE Benelli with heavy shot coyote loads and says he's killed em out to 80+ yards.  We also always have a rifle and shotgun, prefer centerfire loads over a rimfire. 

Good luck and kill as many as you can...PA is trying to pass a $25 bounty on them...started off with just a few and now you can hear them almost everywhere when the fire whistle blows at 6:00.

All good advice, but if you are hunting a metro area try a distressed kitten call.  They love cats.  Keep the wind in your favor and stay alert..some times they come in and take back off in a matter of seconds.  My buddy uses a SBE Benelli with heavy shot coyote loads and says he's killed em out to 80+ yards.  We also always have a rifle and shotgun, prefer centerfire loads over a rimfire. 

Good luck and kill as many as you can...PA is trying to pass a $25 bounty on them...started off with just a few and now you can hear them almost everywhere when the fire whistle blows at 6:00.

Hawkeye 625, your spot on and beat me to the post!! Down here in PA. the deer population is next to nothing "where you can hunt" on the mountain we did a road trip after a snow fall, early in the morning and not to my surprise was one set of yote tracks after another. We are seeing in the news paper and on the local TV. channel about coyote attacks on children in developments and dogs with just the head on the chain and cats missing all the time. I got a Fox Pro for Christmas 2 years ago, I just sent it back for some personal updates one call I wanted was a adult cat in distress. I had a young dog come in and sit right down at the decoy like it was going to play with it, the dog batted at the decoy which was a cat but it got bewildered and nervous so I shot it with a shotgun with Dead Coyote load which rolled him up like a carpet, I always use a cover scent, pure skunk cover scent, I use those rubber cloves and dip a Qtip in it and a clothes pin to attach it to a branch, another Item I use and think it really works it's Code Blue for yotes it is a curiosity scent and they tend to let their guard down a little. I think it's a mixture of different coyote scents you spray it on a tree or in the air, I've done this on one's I saw circling down wind I sprayed this into the air and shot that dog with the shotgun also We hunt the outskirts of developments and wooded areas, with the development hunts we always have action, might not call a coyote in every set but it's always interesting when hunting around the developments

it 's really f ing hard. i kill some here and there. luck & time will have the greatest impact. you re not going to impact the population if that' s the goal. i' d pick a method i like and practice.  trapping is the easiest way to sucess. expect to be skunked a lot.  absolute blast once you figure it out.

No im not really looking to impact the population even tho it would be great if could!! Im just looking for some off season fun that brings challenges and excitement!! And dogs definitely will fill that void!

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience you will educate coyotes very quickly, so we limit our calling to times when the odds are in our favor, cold, dark nights with a light but steady wind. I change calls each time I return to a spot and don't over call. Foxes on the other hand, especially grays aren't nearly as difficult. We target coyotes with dogs primarily, but calling is a fun way to stay active outdoors all winter. Keep at it you'll get some!

justin