Cannonball colour

I have 2 cannonballs. One had an orange cover that has cracked and fallen off the other may have had the same but not sure bought it used. Both are 8lb. Going to use for lake trout. Does colour make a difference? What colour works best? What kind of paint holds up the best?

I've coated all mine with black Plasti-Dip for years  and I then let them sit outside for a couple days to "air out" and then spray them with shad scent (spray applicator) and let them sit in large zip locks until I use them. I also spray them with scent when I first get on the water The advantage of the Plasti dip is that it helps keep the things from rolling around in the boat a bit (if I forget to put them in the holders), no direct handling of lead,and they seem to hold up very well finish-wise. It's probably all just "superstitious" behavior...but if it works why question it? :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can say this much about plastic coating and take it as you will. Here in Maine our lobster traps are wire coated with the same stuff as they use on downrigger balls. When you are building them in a warehouse the smell of the new coating is very strong. Now... its not something your likely to notice on one rigger ball but these traps are 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. So 100 of them is a lot of coating. Fish might be sensitive enuff to pick up that coating smell on a single rigger ball. We leave our new traps outside to "weather" for a month before fishing them. If we just dump them overboard brand new a lobster wont come within 10 miles of them for a few weeks. I do the same "weathering" with my rigger balls.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Lake Ontario United mobile app