Ever been jumped by a coyote?

eatsleeptrout

Actually twice this past deer season. I startled a couple of dogs walking to my tree stand one morning. they circled behind and followed me to my stand in the dark. A week prior to that i had 7-9 coyotes come out of the thicket right at dusk, and about 25 yards from my stand played host to a violent royal rumble. The dog fight went off and on for 5 minutes or so. I couldnt see much of what was happening but there was plenty of growling and snarling. After it ended the dogs split in all directions in the woods. It made for an loooooooong walk out of the woods.

Twice during the spring hunt one jumped my decoy . The other one cost me a big gobbler things happened so fast never got a shot off. I give them hell in the Feb breeding season off my kitchen deck . Remington 40xb 85 grain hollow points 6 to 20 Leupold nice easy 325 yd shot to the corner of my hay field .Don't keep poultry anymore because the yots are that thick around here.

My son was surrounded in a stand one evening down in this thick bottom piece we hunt during bow season a few years back.

He called me on the 2-way radio to "GET OVER HERE!!!".

I was up on a hill about a mile or so in another stand and swung by the truck and grabbed a shotgun prior to making my way down to him and they didn't leave the area until they saw the lights of my wheeler coming thru the woods.

Last day/late afternoon of muzzle this year there was a bunch of them not far very away at all, when we were field dressing a couple deer.

We are going to try and thin some of those fawn-killers out after the Holidays.

Coyotes around Corning don't bother me or anyone I know.  I am sure someone down here has a story.  They seem to know they are the hunted but a few years back I had to grab my beagle when I saw a Bobcat hunting the same area where the dog was running a rabbit.

In the late summer I fish last light in a few of the rivers looking for ever elusive walleye and there have been a few times that every hair on the back of my neck has stood up listening to them chasing deer and pups howling.  It is spooky when you can't see and the animals are making al that noise.  Raccoons screeching can be nerve racking too.  I carry my filet knife more for protection than anything else.

I got chased up a tree by a pack when I was a kid playing in the woods. Another time I was walking to my stand and turned the corner to a field edge and a pack was eating a doe 15 feet away. I scared them as much as they scared me. I shot a big gobbler a few yrs ago and as soon as I dropped him a coyote came around the corner after it. This yr I jumped a pack right under my stand in the brush, had two chase off a big doe at last light, got into the path of a hunting pack when leaving another of my spots and they let me know they didn't like it. I hate the bastards and will be doing my best to thin them out.

My buddy was out West hunting turkeys and got attacked by a bobcat.  He was sitting up against a tree using a box call and the bobcat jumped on his back biting him in the head.  He ended up shooting the bobcat and luckily it was not rabid.  He had some nasty scrath marks and a couple tooth marks in his head. 

Two years ago my brother and I went hunting for coyote's, we had got permission to hunt a golf course which also has a development mixed in amongst the fair ways the owner knows my brother and their was complaints of people seeing these dogs and their pets are going missing, so we set up with my brother on one fair way the caller and decoy between us about a half hour later I see my brother walking over towards me at a fast pace, when he got over to me he was as white as a ghost, I was mad at first, then he explained what happened. He said the coyotes came down from above us, out of the houses and snuck up behind him so close when he turned around to see what it was he said he could see their breath in the air, that was enough for him, and we called it a night, he was shaking like a leaf, now we hunt back to back so someone doesn't get ambushed by a dog. They are so used to humans around here that they don't spook easy, makes it a little easier for us hunters, but you need to be on your toes also.

I actually thought I saw a couple this morning but wasn't sure. I've been fortunate to have never had to experience being jumped by dogs. But waiting under a popular little bridge one time I had a possum run up on me and nearly **** myself. Mean little bastards they are.<br /><br />Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br /><br />

I have been a forester for 24 years and never had a problem with them.  For many of those years, I had a dog with me.  That will cut down on your wildlife sightings in general!  but there have been quite a few times where I would catch a doglike shape out of the corner of my eye, call for my pooch, then get annoyed that he didn't come right away.  The coyote would get unnerved by my shouting and take off, sometimes with my dog behind it.  I am a large man and doubt that a coyote would have the nerve to come after me. 

The one time I got a little nervous was one March morning I found the remains of a yearling deer that got eaten the night before.  From the tracks you could tell that several coyotes were involved in its capture.  the thing was that there was not a scrap of flesh left on the carcass.  Those critters were hungry.  Maybe they had room for more.  That's the only time I ever worked in the woods in NY while looking over my shoulder every so often.

We have been hunting coyotes with dogs here in vermont for about 8 years and shoot about 60- 70 per year..we start in mid december and hunt till about april 1st every weekend and some days play hooky from work mid week. A few times big aggressive males during breeding season have actually chased our dogs but never any of us. In my opinion from being around them a lot you will have more problems with young coyotes in  early fall as they are finally out on there owen.& in small packs of young dogs hunting and they dont yet know what danger of a piece of lead or broadhead is! Most adult dogs will run @ 1st sight, sound or smell of any of us....there are exceptions for sure. we all know the best yote is the 1 we just shot and the 2nd best 1 is jus stepping into the x hairs!!

I've had coyotes stalk me several times while turkey calling and deer calling. I Loved having them come in on me. I stopped shooting them about 12 years ago, when I began to really enjoy seeing them ,day or night. They are swift, beautiful ,awesome hunters with incredible senses ,cunning, and stamina. Terrific family members, and the adult males play an active role in rasing their young and teaching them how to survive.They don't kill for fun..they only kill to eat. And they do a good job cleaning up and killing sick, wounded, small  , weak and less wary deer ,turkeys, birds , mice and small game.That is the way mother nature works. They migrated here and are able to adapt to shrinking habitat,and living close to humans, unlike the wolves.They are always super wary around here and the big woods i hunted in the catskills , and would high tail it out of the area when they saw ,smelt or heard a human. I was always amazed how they can pick you out,in full camo and being totally motionless.I understand  they can be a problem in certain areas with deep snows and low deer populations and suburbia...but where I  live and used to hunt,mother nature seems to keep things in balance. I know you guy's are going to hammer me. I understand why most of you have such strong feelings against them. I used to feel like that too.

I've been dive bombed and attacked repeatedly by hawks and red-winged blackbirds...geese...and mute swans in the springtime along rivers and streams .

The worst time i was "jumped " by a critter in the wild...was 5 or 6 years ago, while camping and surf fishing with my son on a desolate area on a barrier island, cape lookout north carolina. Low tide, real calm surf and we were having a ball  wading out waist deep, 20 yards off the beach, so we reach the outer bar with our lures, casting small surface plugs to "ladyfish" (awesome  little hard fighting and acrobatic fish) when a  6 1/2 / 7 foot bull shark mistook my freshly oiled sunscreened legs moving around underwater for a fresh fish meal!!

I am a lucky guy...lucky I was fishing and looking out for fish, not lust wading and swimming. My son saw the whole thing unfold from the sand  as I yelled SHARK!! !! And he screamed DAD !!!!! Still gives me goosebumps when I think about that fin, and shark, closing in on me.

here all ya gotta do is howl. they come and yap and growl. one group drives them they shot 208 yotes in 2 countys 3 winters ago..

I have had yotes run down my street cruising for cats. best one I saw was people trying to catch a stray dog in the grocery store parkin lot.

was a yote lmao.