19ft islander getting down to trolling speed

specialtee

This is a friends boat, 19ft,4 cylinder.

He just unherited this boat and clueless. We are planning on lake trout fishing erie this spring...

problems, the boat wont troll down to 2.0 or less without the boat shaking from the motor.

should we install a happy troller plate? maybe trim tabs or just suck it up and get a kicker?

Although it is usual for an older motor to run a bit rougher at the bottom speed above idle sometimes I would be checking the plugs and the prop to make sure they are OK.The boat shouldn't be shaking significantly under normal conditions but a bent prop (i.e.unbalanced) or seriously fouled plugs may do so.

Edited by Sk8man

A wise guy would tell you that the only direction that bags & buckets work is when you're going forward.  Actually when secured properly direction doesn't matter...east, west, into the wind, with the wind. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

we thought about bags or buckets, but isn't that only good trolling in one direction?

the smart tabs are interesting, thanks for the vid..

I used  buckets too, with a 3" hole in the center.   My corner morring lines are 15' they go from the corner cleat to a cleat midships,  tied to the bucket and in the water they go.   Help to stablize the boat in rough water some too.

This is a friends boat, 19ft,4 cylinder.

He just unherited this boat and clueless. We are planning on lake trout fishing erie this spring...

problems, the boat wont troll down to 2.0 or less without the boat shaking from the motor.

should we install a happy troller plate? maybe trim tabs or just suck it up and get a kicker?

If you decide to go with a troll plate I have the Easy Troller plate, that's the one where the bottom half of the plate swings outward if you forget to release it before taking off, so it doesn't bend it up. I'll make you a hell of a deal, I used it on my mercruiser 350 I/0 it took me from 3mph to 1.8- 2.0, I hade on a 4cly. I/O and I could get down to .08 with it, I decided to go with a kicker just for the sake of another motor should my main motor go down.

• 3 months later...

Been using buckets for the last 35 years. Tie mid ship   forward of outdowns so they run side of ship. Help stabilze boat in rough sea also.

The drywall bucket is one of those things in life that has so many uses. Go to a const site & look in the dumpster . Sometimes you will find a stack of them ,Bring them home fill w. water & let set , Then take a brush & scrub. Watch out for the ones w/ the tops on . They also make a great throw away toilet  I have used many times.