And now it's over

Reel Action

Well...another deer season has come and gone. I had a couple bucks that I was targeting and was lucky enough to get the #1 target on my first bow sit of the season. From there on...it was sitting and watching...and enjoying the view. During bow season I was hard pressed to get a doe in range. Passed up a couple shots early...and regretted it later. Saw a lot of smaller bucks, and a couple of nice ones as well...isn't that always the way once you've filled your tag??

Shotgun season was a bit frustrating, as no matter what stand I picked...I watched them walking around under the others. Missed a doe at last light toward the end of the season, but so it goes. Did get to watch a lot of deer late in the shotgun season and into the smokepole season as they got back into their normal routines. On the last night of the season, I had six bucks, including one whopper and another shooter, coming right toward me from across the field...until they spotted six does coming out of the woods and went to say hello.

Went out today to take the stands down and change the batteries in the cameras. Had a couple pics of a nice one that I saw late in the season, so I think he made it. Together with the six that were together the last night...at least I know there's a good base for next year. Hopefully the coyotes don't get them! Hard to believe it's come and gone...but now that the stands are down...it's on to planning for next year, and the endless winter project list on the boat.

I wanted to thank everyone on here for sharing their stories. It's always nice to see the pics...but even better to hear the stories behind them. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Tom

post-139700-0-86242800-1387775452_thumb.jpg

post-139700-0-31707100-1387775486_thumb.jpg

post-139700-0-98786800-1387775510_thumb.jpg

That buck on your camera will be a dandy next fall. Still have a couple weeks of flintlock and bow left after Christmas, here in PA. Taking the smokepole out, and try to get my first deer with a flintlock. Seen a bruiser buck 200 yards from the house last week.

Yep.

We've hunting every single weekend here since the 5th of October, kind of an odd feeling that occurs every year, and already making plans for 2 elevated enclosed towers(did I mention, carpeted...and heated with sliding pexiglas windows ?) we're going erect before the farmer gets his planting started in the spring............Brown Trout or Walleye season be damned.

By the time deer season is winding up I am ready for it to b over.,I can't seem to get myself to do anything else other than hunt during the season. Then everything builds up and I have a ton of things to do. My next season is ice fishing and at the same time getting everything ready in my sugar house and sugarbush for the upcoming maple season!

I'm not unhappy it is done, just for 2 1/2 months the entire free time focus is deer.............................then nothing,(unless I want to work Sat. and Sundays, which I have and still do)until we get good ice.

Hell I worked 32 straight Saturdays last year from 12/14/12....forward.......and still fished EVERY Sunday.