'90 Penn Yan 245 Contender - Merry Christmas to me!

FleetTracker

Hi Bazookajoe - haha that would have been crazy cramped!  I just ran two of the new Cannon Mag STX-10's... a little deceiving from the picture I suppose... both rod holders are mounted on each rigger for when I would stack lines.

I'm fishing a 17 foot Lowe and know how it feels...it def gets cramped!  I (like you) sometimes wish for a bigger boat with more room, a hardtop and more sea-worthiness.  Some day!! 

Hey thanks walleyemagic... yea I was only there for a long Memorial Day weekend trip... Stayed up at the cabin on the hill and kept boat in the water while I was there. Wife liked it up that way so we ended up getting an RV and settling on Bedford Creek in July. Good time bringing neighbors and friends up for solid fishing trips too. Prepared to hit it hard this year... I'm sure we'll run into each other both on the water and on 81N. Haha

• 3 months later...

Project Complete. Was a long 4 months and a lot of work but well worth it. Thought I'd share the 'after' pics. 'Before' pics are in the beginning of the thread.

post-151421-13983914052068_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13983914261362_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13983914396913_thumb.jpg

post-151421-1398391453547_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13983914635273_thumb.jpg

post-151421-13983914758664_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Brian! I have a whole new appreciation for boats that are rigged like this. What a ton of work and time (and $) when starting from scratch.

Does everyone do this themselves or are there full service marine shops that take on this effort? I don't think I'd want to do it again. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can't imagine what someone would charge to set up a boat for what we do.  I have 3 weekends into my Carolina and I'm still not finished.  I'm hoping to finish this weekend and have her in the slip next weekend.

Brian

That is a way better deal than what I got on my Pro-Line. I paid $1800 for my boat, trailer, and motor. I originally bought my boat on the trailer with a bad motor for $800.  I bought my outboard for $1000 sight unseen.  I have easily 5x the amount of money in electronics and gear into the boat.  My autopilot and steering alone was $1800, expensive sport but wouldn't change for anything.

Hey Brian - you are correct... the salesman (Scott) mentioned a guy from PA who came down to buy a boat and saw the Penn Yan and mentioned their popularity up here.  Exact story he told... pretty cool how that works out!  I should be thanking you for giving him the tip!

Very excited about the deal... except the wife is dead set on "Why do we need 2 boats?" haha... I got her some jewelry from Christmas so hopefully those comments go away soon.  She actually is pretty excited to have a bigger boat now that she has seen it... she'll feel better about going out on the big water.

Yeah wives can get a little tricky about our boats sometimes... I get the " this is a expensive hobby"  comment everytime I drop a few Ks on my mistress !!LOL BUt then I take my two sons out every Saturday morning at 6:30 am and she has the entire day off, apparently it's the best money she has ever let me spend!!!