learning to fish Walleye

Sneaky Duck

On Lake Ontario Its called Perseverance, also trying new things till you get them going and then duplicate them. 200 dollars a weekend in fuel and lots of days looking for them and searching and then when you find them stay on them and dont give up.

post-140153-13806653027887_thumb.jpg
Edited by walleyemagic

On Lake Ontario Its called Perseverance, also trying new things till you get them going and then duplicate them. 200 dollars a weekend in fuel and lots of days looking for them and searching and then when you find them stay on them and dont give up.

Couldnt agree more! There isnt a secret to success...other than hard work, perseverance that borders on insanity, and lots of fuel. You have to really love it, because you spend a lot of days alone trying to figure it out. Its tough to get anyone to go 12 hours a day when you cant get into them. Of course once you are on them everybody wants in...lol!

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sneaky I use 10lb mono for my leaders and size 8 to 10 trebles for hooks eyes are smart fish and if they feel the line they will spit the hook and bait. As for the ice braided it is cheap and cost a lot less they spider line. I use max of 12 pound ice braided, with and 8 to 10 lb mono leader that is about 12" mono. Floral is nice and strong and thinner then mono, but it doesn't like the cold at all. Mono won't cold snap on you and to top it off its cheaper. As for my tip ups I use 3ft of mono on that. With two bb split weights first one about 10 in up and the second 10 to 12 in from that. Hope that helps man

I agree with Bailey on making the drive to Lake Erie. It will be totally worth it to go to Small Boat Harbor Mid June thru Mid July, then move westward down the lake as the water warms. I am out of Sunset Bay on the Catt. Creek and I ran all my Charters out of Sunset Bay and fished between Sturgeon Point and Buffalo from June 8th thru July 20th. In those waters in that time frame we put over 300 walleyes in the boat. I was averaging 23-25 Walleyes a trip, then we had a big blow on July 20th and it broke up the huge schools of water fleas that the smelt were feeding on and that scattered the Walleyes towards the west. You generally don't need to go west of Sturgeon Point before mid July UNLESS the water in uncharacteristically warm like it was in the summer of 2012.