F. F. F. F. F.

:shake:   not what you were thinking  Fall Fashion For Fishing Fingerlakes  :lol:

OK, I see some of you fanatics fishing in some pretty cold foul weather.   I'll probably attempt fishing in early spring and next fall and am thinking about what would be comfortable ruling out an enclosed boat. I want to keep warm w/o roasting/sweating, shed the rain and have a enough freedom of movement to actually fish.   I need to get some hip boots for launching in Hemlock/Canadice but am wondering what else to wear.  I am thinking about a better inflatable life preserver that would be a bit less bulky?   Any insight on what works for you?

Jack

It's called Carhartt and yes you must wear a life preserver.

I've heard a rumor that a drop shot bottle of brandy helps keep you warm and makes you care less about catching fish.

Edited by rolmops

It's expensive but I wear all northface. Wind and waterproof warm and lightweight and I use inflatables as well the waist band type tho not the shoulder standard type. Always have a thermos and good supply of handwarmers. I don't use gloves so towels to dry off. Nothing beast winding up decoys in January with no gloves lol!

I agree with others on the importance of a quality synthetic base layer .  I find for really cold days a pair of insulated bibs is the best purchase I have made and makes an enormous difference.  You still get good freedom of movement of your upper body and can layer appropriately depending on conditions but those insulated bibs keep you so warm, keeps your core heat in and also prevents drafts.  Another great addition is a Balaclava or neck warmer.  

Arctic Armor jacket and bib pants....you won't find anything warmer and best of all if you fall overboard it will hold you up. My son and I use them for all cold weather fishing including ice fishing. http://www.idigear.com/index2.php

check out the video http://www.idigear.com/video3.php

We've had ours for about 4 or 5 years and they hold up very very well. Like many things that are high quality....they are relatively expensive but after going through the ice in 5 ft. of water a few years back before I bought them I figured it was worth it :lol:  I even bought an extra jacket this year just to wear for outside stuff because they are so warm and windproof and waterproof.

Edited by Sk8man

X2 on the Artic armor! I bought it for ice fishing 2yrs also however those late fall days and early spring days on a 14 ft alum boat make them worth every penny...

You know that all you need is the bibs and coat and nothing else and it could down pour in the coldest weather with a stiff wind and you would feel like you were wrapped in an electric blanket.

:shake:   not what you were thinking  Fall Fashion For Fishing Fingerlakes  :lol:

OK, I see some of you fanatics fishing in some pretty cold foul weather.   I'll probably attempt fishing in early spring and next fall and am thinking about what would be comfortable ruling out an enclosed boat. I want to keep warm w/o roasting/sweating, shed the rain and have a enough freedom of movement to actually fish.   I need to get some hip boots for launching in Hemlock/Canadice but am wondering what else to wear.  I am thinking about a better inflatable life preserver that would be a bit less bulky?   Any insight on what works for you?

Jack

My only comment is that one should not wear an inflatable life preserver if the temperature is below freezing. A conservation officer informed me that the CO2 cartridge may not go off when it is so cold.

When I fish cold weather I launch using my neoprene chest waders then just put on my waterfowl bibs or ski snowpants and either my duck parka or ski jacket. Either will keep me warm and block wind/rain/snow. Moisture wicking base layers are crucial. I also like to wear my life jacket under my jacket, easier to move around in for me.

Arctic Armor jacket and bib pants....you won't find anything warmer and best of all if you fall overboard it will hold you up. My son and I use them for all cold weather fishing including ice fishing. http://www.idigear.com/index2.php

check out the video http://www.idigear.com/video3.php

We've had ours for about 4 or 5 years and they hold up very very well. Like many things that are high quality....they are relatively expensive but after going through the ice in 5 ft. of water a few years back before I bought them I figured it was worth it :lol:  I even bought an extra jacket this year just to wear for outside stuff because they are so warm and windproof and waterproof.

Very interesting Les, I watched all the vids. and was quite impressed. The coldest I've ever been in my life was when we went to the bay of Quinte ice fishing, it was 25 below with heavy winds, wind so strong it blew a box van on it's side, that was about 12 years ago, long before all this new clothing came out, it was the week from hell and I never went Ice fishing again. I have the newer hunting gear and stay warm, but I can't take the cold like I used to, especially after my 2 back surgeries, being on the cold Ice just kills me, maybe with my new sasquatch boots I would be ok, and went a time or two and actually caught something would change my thought of ice fishing!!!

Guys,

Glad I asked this.   Carharts  were what first came to mind.  I hadn't heard of Artic Armor.   A lot to ponder.   I'd like the Artic Armor but have to see if it is in my budget. 

Since having almost died a year ago from hypothermia in my breezeway (long off topic story)  all I care about life jackets is that I don't get ticketed.   Chances aren't very good  if one goes into the drink and on the Finger Lakes in December since I don't think help is going to arrive in time.  The life jacket is mainly a quick way to retrieve the body!

Artic Armor appeals to me because of the flotation but I assume that it isn't considered a life jacket.   I also wonder how wet you get?   Does it act as a survival suit?

I am wondering what to wear as a "base layer"?

Jack

You guys over dress for winter fishing. I wear a pair of shorts under my bibs. Layer my shirts. Good hat and 2 pair of gloves. When the fish are hitting you don't feel the cold.

Jason,  

I use to love the cold and snow!   Used to go snow shoeing/skiing/camping/mountaineering in the winter in NY, NH, Idaho mountains.   Fast forward to the past few years and my mind says get out there but once out there my body says COLD.   I walk my Springer every day and some winter mornings it can be a bit tough!   I think to fish effectively you need to be comfortable.   

Jack

For me the Artic armor was an easy decision when I realized how much I love ice fishing more than most and schedules and family commitments cause you to go fishing when you can....not when you and your buddies can or in the middle of the day when everyone else is out there. So I end up fishing quite a bit EARLY in the am before the sun comes up or at night when no one else is out there or my buddies would rather fall asleep on the couch watching tv..

If I waited to go ice fishing with someone , I would never fish the amount I wanted to.

SO I made the investment in the arctic armor, I wear a life jacket underneath it on a boat or if I'm by myself on the ice.

It is not coast guard approved, but the claim is the insulation will float 3 adults. When I have gotten wet with it, it was still extremely warm, however I have not gone in fully. I don't worry about any layers underneath. Jeans and a flannel shirt underneath is about it.

Bottom line is since I have had the suit the only issue I have is my hands, due to taking gloves on and off and handling fish and tying lures etc.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Tim

The old neoprene chest wader are always a good standby and not too expensive. I use 5 mm neoprenes with sweatpants under, wool socks and of course PFD under an over sized waterproof jacket. I fish Cayuga from Jan thru April / May in a float tube and stay warm for hours. Fish the Big O this way also in the spring. I always keep one old pair of neoprenes even if they leak to wear under outer wear when fishing ( ice or shore) in cold weather. Happy Holidays to all, be safe and hope all your arms are sore from catching too many fish. Is that possible to catch too many fish?