Red Eye spoons

The smallest ones (light weight ones 2 3/4 in.) and the standard flutter spoons (3 3/4 in.) are best for the Fingers - the magnums (5 inches) are OK for Lake O salmon

Edited by Sk8man

Hi Jack,

I've never removed any of the paint from those particular lures but the wires that connect the beads should hold them in pretty good I'd just cover them (beads) with tape or maybe vasoline while painting.. I've had very good luck with the silver with orange, black ones, and blue and silver. Haven't done much with the chartreuse colors or greens surprisingly. Mainly big lakers on black ones and mainly rainbows on the orange especially the small sized ones. As far as the paint goes I do a lot of painting of my lures with nail polish rather than actual paint and then put a hardener coat on them. That way if I decide the color doesn't work out and I want to try another I just use some nail polish remover and repaint.I also get rid of then nail polish scent before using by spraying them with shad scent spray (after they have dried completely outside for a while). There you have it....my closely guarded "secret" method :lol:

here are my most "active" Evil Eyes (from the left to right in order of preference)Take a look at the little one up close and you can see what I'm talking about....I had to go to a larger hook because they hit so viciously and sometimes swallowed it :)

post-145411-0-09498100-1388079884_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-37533400-1388079988_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-99905300-1388079997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Possible but I really think it is the action itself of the lure. When you have 5 of them on a Seth Green you can see the rod tip "pulsate" real good about like Sutton 88's

You can get the brass wire at a craft store or Jo-ann's fabric store.   I bought some blanks and that what I use for the eyes.  A pair of needlenose pliers or a leatherman and your good to go.  Fingerlakes (Cayuga )  you can't go wrong if it has some orange in it.   The 2f in the fall and the 3 or 5 f in the spring works for me.

I've brought this up before, but Jim Piano (Hammerhead Charters) makes some great red-eye spoons in an assortment of colors that I've caught a lot of fish on at Ontario.  They're a little thinner than the conventional red-eye spoons and troll more like a flutter spoon.  They're worth a try.  I am not associated with Jim for the record.

http://www.hammerheadchartersandtackle.com/page9.html

post-146674-0-18430400-1388097075_thumb.png

You can get the brass wire at a craft store or Jo-ann's fabric store.   I bought some blanks and that what I use for the eyes.  A pair of needlenose pliers or a leatherman and your good to go.  Fingerlakes (Cayuga )  you can't go wrong if it has some orange in it.   The 2f in the fall and the 3 or 5 f in the spring works for me.

2f  5 f ?

I've brought this up before, but Jim Piano (Hammerhead Charters) makes some great red-eye spoons in an assortment of colors that I've caught a lot of fish on at Ontario.  They're a little thinner than the conventional red-eye spoons and troll more like a flutter spoon.  They're worth a try.  I am not associated with Jim for the record.

http://www.hammerheadchartersandtackle.com/page9.html

Interesting spoons but very different (maybe better?) than the Red Eye.

Hi Jack,

I've never removed any of the paint from those particular lures but the wires that connect the beads should hold them in pretty good I'd just cover them (beads) with tape or maybe vasoline while painting.. I've had very good luck with the silver with orange, black ones, and blue and silver. Haven't done much with the chartreuse colors or greens surprisingly. Mainly big lakers on black ones and mainly rainbows on the orange especially the small sized ones. As far as the paint goes I do a lot of painting of my lures with nail polish rather than actual paint and then put a hardener coat on them. That way if I decide the color doesn't work out and I want to try another I just use some nail polish remover and repaint.I also get rid of then nail polish scent before using by spraying them with shad scent spray (after they have dried completely outside for a while). There you have it....my closely guarded "secret" method :lol:

here are my most "active" Evil Eyes (from the left to right in order of preference)Take a look at the little one up close and you can see what I'm talking about....I had to go to a larger hook because they hit so viciously and sometimes swallowed it :)

first picture the black and orange small spoon is a 2f  the next spoon is a 3f the rest are 5f

All the larger ones on the right in the pic are 3 3/4 inches long, the medium is 2 3/4 inches and the smallest on the left is 2 1/4 inches long. Those fish did attack the small one like alligators would :lol:

I just sold off around 100 red eye spoons to guys on the board here recently.  I kept a few for myself for fishing on Lake Michigan out of Milwaukee.  Here we have more Kings and bows  than anything else (once they show up in July).  Lakers are a by catch mostly unless its a slow day and then we target them.  I had some good luck with so other flutter type spoons on long leadcore last year.  I was going to run a few of them stock and paint the rest.  Not sure what I'm going to paint them yet for Kings, but going with blue and oranges for Rainbows.  I killed the rainbows last year with Moonshine RV/UV blue flounder pounders last year on wire dispsy.  I think I must have gone through about 6 of those spoons.  I found some similar UV tape, so going to paint up some Red Eyes and throw the UV tape on.