Planer mast or rail mounted reels on my Trophy.... Need some advice

Hey guys and girls. Hope everyone has a great Christmas. I'm switching over to otterboat planers from inlines this year and was looking for some advice.  My boat is a 21 foot Trophy 2002wa... No hardtop or arch.     im thinking about just adding the bigjon rail mounted reels for the boards, but im not sure if the rail is going to give me enough height to keep the planer lines out of the water and the boards tracking  properly. I don't really want to spend the extra dough on a mast system unless i have to. Any trophy ( or similar walkaround) boat owners that can chime in with their experience dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I have a Trophy 2052 WA. I purchased a pair of Old School planer board reels off eBay that I believe cost me +/- $80. I mounted them to my rails and use otter boats. The only thing I did was drill a hole and move the handle closer to the center. For two years I think they've worked perfect. Here's a video you can check out. Any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ZwLd2pBc4

I would use a mast and mount the reels to the rails. I do not like the Otter boards I don't think they pull hard enough, I love my Amish Outfitter wood boards they pull like a freight train. I have a 27' Baha hard top with a Traxstech planer mast with out the reels on it. I mounted the reels on the vertical rail on the top at the back of the hard top. I have 300 feet of line on each reel and with the Amish boards I can run 4 10 color lead core lines off each side with no major sagging issues. Just my 2 cents.   Ps the higher the mast the better you need to keep as much of the planer line out of the water as possible.

Edited by fishkiller16

Thanks for the info guys.  Antney  did you mount your reels on the bimini like the guy in the video, or to the rail on your trophy? Putting them on the bimini would make me nervous if the boards ever torpedoed or got hung up on anything

I have a Trophy 2052 WA. I purchased a pair of Old School planer board reels off eBay that I believe cost me +/- $80. I mounted them to my rails and use otter boats. The only thing I did was drill a hole and move the handle closer to the center. For two years I think they've worked perfect. Here's a video you can check out. Any questions feel free to shoot me an email.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1ZwLd2pBc4

Mast all the way. I used to run them off a custom wind shield mount and like it a little higher so mounted a mast and no complaints. It's important your lines stay out of the water to keep from getting wrapped up in the release or planer board line.<br />

<br />

Sent from my thinking chair...<br />

<br />