Winter project

lakebound88

Well, after blowing the engine on my last trip of the year, I have been working hard on the new engine and even other jobs while I'm in the engine compartment. Of was a hot mess bit each day it is getting better and better. Here's a few pictures from start to where I am now.. the engine is ready to go in! Just need to Finnish the work in the bay..<br />

<br />

Anyone else have any good winter projects going? <br />

<br />

Nick. <br />

<br />

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br />

<br />

post-145590-13881097425397_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13881097827687_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13881097947514_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13881098060009_thumb.jpg

post-145590-1388109820768_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13881098313997_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13881098429944_thumb.jpg

Well, after blowing the engine on my last trip of the year, I have been working hard on the new engine and even other jobs while I'm in the engine compartment. It was a hot mess but each day it is getting better and better. Here's a few pictures from start to where I am now.. the engine is ready to go in! Just need to Finnish the work in the bay..

Anyone else have any good winter projects going?

Nick.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Stringers are good. The bulkheads though are bad. They were only painted. I drilled a few holes on stringers and checked ok... luckily... I would of hated that job! These floors are tight to get under but already got the bulkheads cut out.<br />

<br />

Nick<br />

<br />

<br />

I see a clean engine bay and a new engine.  Had to do that last winter, although engine replacement is beyond my skill set.  Kudos to you.  I just worked a bunch of 80 hour weeks to pay for it.  My winter project this year will be a new GPS - that I can do.  If the funds hold out maybe a new radar - should be able to handle that as well.

Thanks. I am a diesel tech so its in my skill set but I hate gasoline engines! But I am glad, I feel sorry for guys who have to pay the crazy high marina prices for even some of the smallest things..<br />

<br />

Nick<br />

<br />

<br />

Gaining... finished the bulkheads today and painted the bilge. Engine will be going in Monday. Still need some new exhaust manifolds. but I can't wait to hear her purrr<br />

<br />

Nick<br />

<br />

<br />

post-145590-13882923248586_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13882923505121_thumb.jpg

post-145590-13882923696601_thumb.jpg

Flex plate is good.. I do not troll with my main engine. So it doesn't get the abuse at idle plus the Volvo couplers are glorious compared to a mercury!<br />

<br />

<br />

rolmops looking good, I went through the same process last year, had to go .30 on the bore and new exhaust chambers the hole ball of wax. Put the motor in took it to a local lake for a shake down test, only to be disappointed it ran like crap, pulled motor out again and had water in the cylinders again, everything was pressure checked what the hells up, I had water in all 8 cylinders so pulled the whole thing down again and went over everything and all checked out??? come to find out that the intake had a pin hole in the water jacket where the piece that holds the thermostat, your motor looks identical to mine, so check that out. just food for thought, I'd hate for you to go through what I did for something like that, mine is a 1982 merc. 350 was a 260hp but I'm guessing closer to 300hp with the heads I went with and .30 bore puts me at 355 cubes and a 650cfm 2 barrel carb off my uncles 358 mod. It used to top out at 25mph and now I have no problem getting 30mph and throttle to go yet, I know it's not how fast you can go when fishing, but it's nice to be able to get off the lake in a hurry. Good luck it's a lot of work but when she purrs like kitten there's nothing like the sense of accomplishment. 

rolmops looking good, I went through the same process last year, had to go .30 on the bore and new exhaust chambers the hole ball of wax. Put the motor in took it to a local lake for a shake down test, only to be disappointed it ran like crap, pulled motor out again and had water in the cylinders again, everything was pressure checked what the hells up, I had water in all 8 cylinders so pulled the whole thing down again and went over everything and all checked out??? come to find out that the intake had a pin hole in the water jacket where the piece that holds the thermostat, your motor looks identical to mine, so check that out. just food for thought, I'd hate for you to go through what I did for something like that, mine is a 1982 merc. 350 was a 260hp but I'm guessing closer to 300hp with the heads I went with and .30 bore puts me at 355 cubes and a 650cfm 2 barrel carb off my uncles 358 mod. It used to top out at 25mph and now I have no problem getting 30mph and throttle to go yet, I know it's not how fast you can go when fishing, but it's nice to be able to get off the lake in a hurry. Good luck it's a lot of work but when she purrs like kitten there's nothing like the sense of accomplishment. 

Thanks for the compliment,but Nick(lakebound) is not Rolmops.Nick is much better at engines than Rolmops.

I did rebuild a 140 chevy block over the past few months and its all ready now and in the boat. But if Nick would have seen me commit all the stupidities and mistakes that I made,he would have walked out in disgust or maybe just sadly laughing.

Edited by rolmops

Ouch. Yeah I'm bored 30 over. I ordered a Long block due to mine being a bit over bored. Its worth rebuilding for a rave engine but the costs were more feasible with ordering a long block. My head was cracked and allowed slight moisture on intake and blew right out on exhaust. The rings were tired. It put up with a beating. When I got the boat I could do 32 mph. All season long(4 years later) I was happy to see 23 out of it. I knew it was coming bit fortunately I made it all season. She was burning a lot of oil but that's a Chevrolet product for ya. <br />

<br />

I am very happy with the work I have done. I was on the Verge of upgrading to a newer boat but mine fishes so sweet. It would be hard to find a fishing platform for what my trophy offers packed in a 29 foot boat.<br />

<br />

I can't wait to fire it up this week when the manifolds come. Anxious.. is an understatement <br />

<br />

I had all my intake and components and thermostat housing sand blasted. I also for personal preference do not run thermostats. I know it would increase economy but I prefer it. However I do get a bit better power with it.. <br />

<br />

<br />

Nick<br />

<br />

<br />

Sorry for the mix up fellas, I'm headed for back surgery for the second time in a year, this coming Thurs. their going to rebuild my back with lots of new goodies, they tried to just fix it earlier this year so I only got to get up one time, my twin daughters begged me to take them up, we managed a few smallies and a couple walleye, not bad for a few hours. I didn't bring my boat up I used my uncles 16fter not quite used to the little boat but we manage, and now they are hooked on Lake O. God was on our side and let us go anywhere on the lake we wanted so I took advantage of the opportunity which abled us to seek walleye territory and were able to latch on to a few. The pain gets so bad and I get messed up in the head my fault for the wrong name title. Now back to the engines, I also was told by my uncle who also builds motors for modified dirt track cars, mega horse motors, which is why I was able to do what I did, the machine work and all the pressure checks didn't cost me a dime. I also had cracked heads, exhaust manifolds it was a mess, he even had a set of .30 over flat top pistons someone didn't want so I lucked out there also, the guy was going to build a 358 flat top motor buy decided to build a 320 which uses high dome pistons so I was in luck there, I still ended up just a little under 2Gs in the motor, the exhaust manifolds and the stuff I didn't have any connections to cost a lot. I was also told not to run a thermostat, that I would get more performance out of the big engine but not that efficient on fuel, I don't use my main engine to troll so I told my uncle that would be fine, I was nervous about that but now that I know your not using one either makes me feel a lot better, you being a veteran at the boating scene, I'm just a rookie at the big motor type boats, Thanks guys it means a lot to me to be a part of this great site!! PAP.

Edited by pap

I am curious . Why would you run without a thermostat ? Seems like in the Spring and Fall when the Lake water is cold your engine would never warm up to a good running temp and could do more harm then good. Unlike a car with a closed cooling system your are always pumping cold water into the engine . I guess I thought motors ran better when warm . (always ready to learn ) 

Edited by Jack

Jack. Yes you're correct about the cool water. But I can assure you my v8 gets warm pushing my vessel along. I still get to operating temp. Just takes a bit. My Volvo is raw water cooled from a crank shaft driven raw water pump. I guess its a preference in the end. I have had issues with stats but with cold water season so short I don't sweat it...<br />

<br />

Nick<br />

<br />

<br />

Pap,<br />

<br />

I wish you a quick recovery with as little pain as possible. I've had many bones put back together. Its not anything I would do again. My knees will have their turn by time I'm 40 I bet.<br />

<br />

Nick<br />

<br />

<br />

I asked my uncle about the thermostat thing and from what I gathered from a long song and dance is, the colder you can keep the engine, therefore the engine compartment, the cooler the air will be, cooler air is more dense than hot air, therefore you are actually putting more air into the fuel mixture which makes more power up to 15hp. he said. But he did mention that this theory only works on carb. motors, fuel injected motors are a hole different ball game. I hope I got all that right??? I know I'm leaving some info. out but that's really all I gathered. (cold air is more dense which = more air and cold air mixed with fuel will explode faster then hot air mixed with the same fuel) but the motor will not be as efficient on fuel consumption over a long trip, such as trolling.

Yup!<br />

<br />

However like above I troll with a Yamaha four stroke. :) thus I get to avoid that... most of the time weather permitting<br />

<br />

<br />

Yea, I only use the V8 to get to and fro. I wish I could swing a 4cycle kicker but OUCH $$$ I have a 15hp 2cycle long shaft which works great, just the extra gas tank is a pain, but we manage. It certainly cut cost on fuel, instead of 40gallons a day it's like 3 to 4 gallons or out on the kicker, and 10gallons to and from. We have a camper in the Black River Camp Grounds, so I trailer out to Henderson Harbor to where I like to fish, I made the run once and according to my gps. it's a 13 mile run over the water, not to mention a storm come up.

Nice man! Glad to see you decided to keep her! I love my boat. And have looked at tons of boats and the only ones I have found that have as much room as ours Are much bigger boats! 33-35 foot . And I just did the whole long block a couple years ago as well, it sucks but also nice to know everything is done right!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looking good Nick!!, just curious are you going to put the motor in then put the manifolds on or bolt the manifolds on first, the reason I asked  is I put the manifolds on first but for some reason (can't remember) I had to take them back off to install the motor. I was wondering what year your boat is it looks identical to mine, the way the piece that bolts to where the thermostat is, is identical to mine, I had to purchase a new one of those thing where all the little hoses attach, and from what I gather in 1982 that was when they started changing things, because I wanted to put different heat exchangers on for through hull exhaust, (with mufflers) but I had to stay with the OE log style exhaust manifolds. Also is your motor a 2 barrel or 4, mines a 2 barrel.