Winter project

lakebound88

Pap,<br />

She's a four barrel. 1986. 286 trophy bay liner with an gm Volvo penta aq260 engine. 86 was the year they really changed things up. They took parts from 85 combined with the swap to an 87 and made the 86 motor. Weird but that's what gm did to use up parts from what I understand. I have long studs I use. Hang the gasket on studs. Put on manifold start a couple bolts. Remove studs and insert the remaining bolts and torque from inside to outside. Then install risers and torque. They are not cheap! Heck a t stat housing is over 150 used....<br />

<br />

<br />

Last night I ran the engine for about fifteen minutes. Enough to time it. Will winterize and park boat till spring. I have a video but pain in but to link it here. I can't believe how easy it starts. Just goes to show how tired the old motor really was. Doesn't even get rolled over once and vroooom.<br />

<br />

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br />

<br />

AAHHH, congrats, the hard part is over!!, I also started my engine on the floor, same just long enough to time her and see if the mechanical advance was working. I know where your coming from about the cost of the manifolds, I had to buy 2 exhaust manifolds, my risers were ok, after a good acid cook in a machine that's designed to remove rust and mineral build up which my block was also done in the same manner, but my exhaust manifolds didn't pass the pressure test, which set me back around $700.00. That was the most expensive part of the whole project, meaning I only got 2 items for that amount of money. I stayed with a 2 barrel intake which had to be replaced also, but my uncle gave me a carb with the mechanical choke, it had a 2 barrel with electric choke but it wouldn't work right, it stayed on even when warm, he took it apart and discovered the spring was bad or something and I looked into a new carb and it was ridiculous what they wanted for the same type, I could find others cheaper but there was a glitch with each one. So he said he thinks he has one that would work at his place and it fit exactly right only thing he said is it's a racing 2 barrel which flows 600cfm, a little less than a 4 barrel but it will be good on gas for trolling but as bad as a 4 barrel at half or more throttle, which I didn't care because I use a kicker to troll anyway. I also took the Y pipe in the back where the exhaust dumps out off and replaced the seals where they hook to the outdrive and put new exhaust shutters in each side the rods that hold the shutters were rusted off and they were just laying in the pipe, I had a hunch that the motor just wasn't breathing right, I always had like exhaust smell in the boat and the starboard side always ran 30 degrees hotter, I'm glad I did that, The same theory with a thermostat and the exhaust shutters some say you don't need them, but I decided to put them in, some say with rolling seas against the back you could get water in the back cylinders or if you back your boat in the water to fast it could happen, they were cheap compared to the rest of the stuff. Can't wait till spring to test everything out and I'm sure your in the same shoes.

Looking at this trim cylinder. Starboard side. It has four lines going to it. I had marina service them last year. But they failed to do work order before winter and cracked cylinder I think? Not sure but now this will be fun.<br />

<br />

<br />

Nick that sucks, I had to rebuild both my trim cylinders, they wouldn't bring the lower unit back down when I put them into the trailering position, it wasn't that bad of a job but the few parts that go into them is salty, I had a bent rod in one the port side, it was like $90.00 for a few o rings a washers, but with a cracked housing that will be different, I went on line and found a cylinder, new for $65.00 and ordered it and it arrived only to have an empty box, the end was opened and the cylinder fell out or someone else needed one also, but I did learn that they try to sell you a port or starboard side when actually they are the same, just the lines and plugs are in different spots, there are numbers on the cylinder and those will be the numbers that will determine the length and style you'll need. E bay had a lot of them but not the type my boat takes, so take a look on there first. Sorry to hear the bad news, It seems like it never ends, but it will all come together soon. 

I'm a fan of making it work. I have the square cap style on the 290 dp s drives. I was able to drill tap and plug the pin hole in the case and not interfere with ram stroke. Super excited. Going to winterize, wash and wax tomorrow then I'm ready!<br />

<br />

<br />

Thanks. It's all part of the job. I went to school for diesel equipment technology, but an engine is an engine. I look at it this way, If you mess something up, you try again. As much as I want to say that I disliked this project. I have now come to agree with myself, it was all worth it.. Now I can relax while on the water I hope. If anyone is ever looking to upgrade their ignition, I highly recommend the Mallory YLM system. Its a direct fit for Marine applications. Thanks for anyone who put in some input along my journey, now its time to think spring!

Nick

have a nice weekend