finding underwater structure

Sneaky Duck

Hi guys, I'm brand new to ice fishing.  Went out 2 times last year and I'm planning to go out a bunch this season. Sorry for the newby question.  I don't have any fishing electronics.  Is there a resource out there to help me find unterwater structure and topography to help me pick a location?  Maps, software... anything to help me.

Thanks!

the previous link is pretty good  depending on where you go you can get a sense by where other people set up as well at least gives you some ideas dont be afraid to shy away from the crowd though just use them for reference

It is all in where you want to go. There are a few books out at tackle shops you can get for all the regions of NY. Also there are a few apps out there like fishidy that has maps and deeps of a large number of lakes and ponds around NY. It is free but to get all the info you have to pay monthly. I use the free app just cause I'm cheep. But like just look where people are. But like cole's creek just cause there is a large number of people out on the ice, doesn't mean it's good to fish all the time. Fishing pressure and just like warm water fishing time of day and weather has a lot to do with it. But like I say "A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work." So best of luck out on the ice and be safe.

Oh sorry.  Yeah, Irondequoit bay, Braddock bay and the ponds in greece (long pond, round pond....).  Thanks for the info on Navionics.  I got a $10 itunes gift card for christmas and I think I know what I'm blowing it on now.

The Navionics web app I mentioned above is free and you use it by moving your mouse on a given location and use the zoom (+ sign and - sign) to navigate to and within your selected location or favorite lake or some ponds some of which show structural detail. I have a print screen program that I can use to print out desired sections zoomed into the desired detail. At the very least it will give you an idea of the depth contours which can give clues about "expected" structure such as weed beds or steep sides suggesting possible rock formations etc.

Edited by Sk8man

Poke and Hope... I think I'm going to write that on my auger.

Sk8man: I like the idea of the print screen.  I know the web version is free.  I like the idea of how the phone app works with the phones gps too.  I think I'll use both.  like i said... gift card :D

Thanks guys!

A small lawnmower battery will run a fish finder for hours, I have an old Lowrance that I use by attaching the ducer to a 1 inch diameter PVC pipe. The battery stays in the sled... Perfect! The unit works fine, up graded to bigger and better for the boat.