Setting up for a copper rig

Ok, so Xmas is by us, have the gift cards and want to set up a copper rig. Maybe 2. One like for 400ft and the other 500ft? Not really familiar with the set up in regards to reel/rod. I see a lot of comments on drag issues etc so I want it to be right from the start. Also I'll probably run it down the chute. I do have planers but not sure if they will work or hold it up with all of the talk about the otter boards and extensions needed. Mine are the BigJohn boards. Also what would you suggest for lb copper and braid backing? I want to give this method a try for both Seneca and LO but want to make sure Copper vs Lead Core is the way to go. Thanks for any help.

Before you make a decision and a purchase I think it would be important to decide what depths you hoping to fish with your setups?

Im an Okuma guy. So my setups are Okuma Clarion CLR553LS w/ Okuma Classic Pro GLT copper rods (cp-cl-862m). In my opinion, the best copper setup out there.

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/star-drag-reels/clarion

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/rods/salmon-steelhead/classic-pro-glt

Blood Run 45# copper, 50# braid backing, and fluorocarbon leader is a perfect Lake Ontario setup. http://www.bloodruntackle.com/

Otters are really nice but your boards will do just fine. And definitely run boards. They will give you a chance to run multiple setups and get them away from the boat (out of the way and out of trouble).

Mike,

Rob's advice is dead on. The Clarion is a  real good choice for copper and for Lake O. If it was just for Seneca you could go "lighter" but because you do both it would be a good rig. You might want to carefully consider running the copper off the boards rather than down the chute as with the 500 especially it could easily tangle up in your other stuff. I know a lot of guys don't want to mess with weights but sometimes it is easier to have shorter section of copper (e.g. 250 or 300 with section of mono or braid fused in for the release) for all around use and then if you want to go deeper for the kings (e.g. summer) add inline weights which you can adjust to conditions above the leader with the boards once you get the feel of things. Make sure you get power handles for the Clarions too (or any other reel for that matter) and especially if you decide to go with 500 ft.....makes life a lot easier (despite the good retrieval rate of the Clarion). I only use my copper on Seneca so I have a totally different approach (more like pulling copper but with a short roller rod with 600 ft. and primarily bottom oriented). As far as the copper itself because you fish both Lake O and Seneca I'd go with the 45 lb braided copper even though it is not quite as easy to handle as the 30 but with the kings it is a good choice. 

Les

Edited by Sk8man

If it was me...i'd buy two of the new high-speed Daiwa Seagate reels ($150), spool up 45 lbs blood run copper with 50 lbs power pro backer.  Buy a cheap Berkely linecounter before you spool it up.  And run them on the Okuma copper/leadcore rods.  If you are going to run it down the shoot...why not just do one 600 and mark the copper every 100 feet?  Then i would go for a Okuma Solterra.  The Seagate will fit a 500 max.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

Not sure how it compares to the Okuma  Clarion but I bought a Okuma Convector High Speed from Tunas Reel Trouble ($99.) and mounted on a Okuma Classic Pro GLT copper rod and love it (400'copper). What ever reel you  buy I would be sure to get something with 6:1 retrieve . When running copper there is so much line out it's nice to be able to get it in quickly if you need to clear tackle .

http://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/brands/OKUMA.html

Edited by Jack

The Clarion has a good retrieve rate but no line counter and if you decide to go with the Berkley Line Counter you will have to crank down the tension real good to keep the braided copper from popping out of it with any tension on the wire.

fyi...Line counter reel is not necessary for copper

A berkley line counter is only used for putting the desired amount of copper on the reel for the first time. You should never use a reel line counter to do this job because it will not be accurate.

Not sure how it compares to the Okuma  Clarion but I bought a Okuma Convector High Speed from Tunas Reel Trouble ($99.) and mounted on a Okuma Classic Pro GLT copper rod and love it (400'copper). What ever reel you  buy I would be sure to get something with 6:1 retrieve . When running copper there is so much line out it's nice to be able to get it in quickly if you need to clear tackle .

http://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/brands/OKUMA.html

My understanding is that his high speed Convectors are Convectors with the guts of a high speed clarion. Awesome upgrade for the Convectors. :yes:

fyi...Line counter reel is not necessary for copper

A berkley line counter is only used for putting the desired amount of copper on the reel for the first time. You should never use a reel line counter to do this job because it will not be accurate.

It is true that if you run the copper conventionally (e.g. dedicated section (s) with spliced in segments) you don't need a linecounter. But if you should use one for a "Seneca rig" (for bottom fishing) however where you have 600 ft of copper without the segments and use only portions of copper(depending on depth) and fish mainly the bottom using a roller tipped rod it can come in handy and it doesn't really matter how accurate it is depth wise because you only use it to return to the same "relative" number. I also have sections marked at 50 ft intervals with small ties of red yarn glued on to mark them for reference and they go through the eyes and roller fine.

If you have the choice of two I'd do one of each as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. If only one probably the copper considering the "fleas" on both Seneca and Ontario and greater depth fishing. Les

I know it I went down to the launch ramp here on Canandaigua and the ramp is still frozen but the channel is open water and everything is gone from the lake itself (at the north end at least). I'm anxious to hear how the guys make out at the south end of Seneca today.Still a few geese around here too. If you see Bobby tell him I said "hi" will you Mike?

Edited by Sk8man