Helping me to help them

I am just starting to get the ball rolling on a project that was laid on my heart. What I would like to do is place a wheel chair lift or ramp at Meyers Point launch.  With this lift in place we or I will be able to take wounded or disabled vets out for a day of fishing. I have set up a meeting with an engineering / manufacturing company for Mon. Jan. 30th, hoping they will design a lift that will allow a wheel chair to be lowered into a boat. After this is completed I will present it to Lansing Park for there approval   What I would like to know is how much interest there is to help out, donating time, money or a day on your boat for this cause. This project is something that I can not do alone but with the fishing communities support I'm sure it can happen. Please post your thoughts, suggestions or ideas.     Thank you and GOD bless.  Rollie   

Taking disabled vets fishing is a great idea!    Is a lift really necessary?    Who would take responsibility for the liability issues regarding the lift?    Rather than contacting engineers first would it be better to contact someone in the VA with rehab experience first?

Hey, I think this is a great idea. It is not very common in our area but I too would like to get something like this over here on Seneca. I have had customers in which their health was not the best and struggled getting into the boat. Since I have gotten a set of stairs at their request that make boarding and unboarding a bit easier. If there is a way I can help from my end, I will.

Nick

Great idea, maybe this info. might help you.   In Buffalo NY, there is a boat that takes handicapped people out fishing & the boat is set up for wheel chairs. Look at "Erie4everyone.com."  or Adoptive Boating & Fishing-Excalibur Leisure skills .  Or try excaliburls.org (excalibur).  You might be able to get in touch with someone at these places & get some info.  phone #'s, addresses, etc..  I think they are on Facebook also.    They have a video on you tube, look at "Excalibur Leisure Skills Center, Inc. 2010"   Good Luck.

Edited by lineman49

first engineering firm was a no-go, but, they gave me the names of two more places to check and they are going to check with corporate about donation. I hope to contact these next two companies for a end of week meeting or the first of next week. I will try to keep everyone updated as I go. GOD bless Rollie

My brother has cerebral palsey and is in a wheel chair. You could put a hoyer lift on the dock to lower a person to the boat and hand carry a traditional wheel chair on onboard and lower the individual to the chair. The lift could be mounted to a dock. The lifts are manufactured with electric or hand pumps. Let me know if I can help. Former army guy with a bachelors in mechanical engineering and a handicapped brother. I have lived my life solving issues like this and listening to people say what couldn't be done. Please feel free to pm me for any assistance I can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...