Airbrushing lures

So I picked up a basic airbrush and cs coating vinyl jig and lure paint. I received blanks and have ordered some more. I was wondering if anyone know anywhere local I can purchase blanks I'd really like wood over plastic but il lake either also any tip or help on airbrushing would be appreciated

I buy all my airbrush paint at the local auto parts store, I show them the color I want and they custom mix it for me. I don't use the water based stuff, It doesn't stay on long.  When I'm done I clear coat every thing.   If you've never airbrushed before you need to practice, practice, practice. Make dots, Lines, And more and more, It'll come to you,   Always clean your brush!!   I airbrush all my stick baits and most of my spoons.

Yes I didn't want to use water base either but that's all I see people using in videos the cs coating isn't water based it's vinyl and very thick and dries almost immediately...what about your blanks or do you touch up and fix old ones?

O and tips, spend a good amount if time cutting stencils for patterns and for scales I use cheese cloth or a piece of screen. post-145275-13882760565933_thumb.jpgif you notice all the stripes are the same it can be done freehand but significantly faster with stencils after a bit if practice I figured out how to do these!post-145275-13882762091319_thumb.jpg

Those look awesome and yah that's what I'm going to do I def need patterns I just have been screwing around with old beat up lures and the basic making dots and what not I also bought a Neo siphon-feed dual action airbrush by Itwa but I need to return in and get gravity feed

I buy spoons from Garage sales & off the bargin table as long as they are what I want.Also the non producers I have  from last year . Zip strip them and you are good to go . I use spray cans & model paints w/ a small brush also. White primer under floures. colors . Then clear coat. Make sure paints are compatable. Stencils are a good way to go.Also tapes & eyes to add flash . I have had some real winners over the years. A bunch of duds also. They get repainted.

Can do the same w/ lures but they are a little harder. Can't seem to get the metalics to shine as much as I would like.

WOW they look great, those are some mean looking hatchet blades, when are you going to be taking orders!! LOL. This might be off beat but Fat Nancy's has E chip flasher blanks and dodgers, how I know this we lost all our what is called Fire Works flashers and couldn't find any anywhere so we went there and the young fellow made them for us, it was the hottest flasher I ever used, and lost some to dumbness and some to fish I wish we could of at least seen, just food for thought. Very nice work!!!

I use testors enamels for everything there's a wide varity of colors avaliable it's hard as bricks and cheap. And it's not local but I've bought balsa bodies grow Jan's net craft in the past

Flybuster,  

Is the Testors you use solvent based model paint and what do you thin it with?    What do you use for clear coat.

Jan's is a good source but shipping charges can be a bit excessive.  I have made two purchases from Jan's. 

Jan's has wood plug bodies but why not give a try at making them.   Once I get some other projects out of the way I am hoping to make some plugs from scratch.    After reading some books on it at the library it really doesn't seem that tough though a bit time consuming.

I have used two airbrushes for many years for making scale models.   Both are Pasche with one being external mix and the other the internal mix.  Both are pretty good, easy to clean and fairly rugged.   I prefer the external mix airbrush for most simple work because it is easier to clean.   The internal mix brush is for the fine/complex work.  Cleaning a neglected brush is not fun so clean your brush often!   I agree with Fish-on that practice is the key to getting use to a specific brush.

Testors sells a enamel reducer. Normal thinner dose not work. And I use a variety of different clears and have not noticed much difference. Lately I've been buying aerosol spray cans again testors sells a clear. I picked up a can of automotive clear which worked as well! Just watch your clears for compatibility I've melted a few nice paintjobs crossing laquer base over the top