Steering Question

Unclepaul

post-154008-0-33809100-1388274886_thumb.jpgCan anyone Identify what kind of steering is on My Alumacraft?  The boat is a 1959 queen 16 and the wheel and steering mechanism has been replaced. I think it requires a solid cable verses the Cable / pulley type system. Just don't know what cable to purchase.

Thanks

UnclePaul

This picture is way to dark to idenitify what you have there,but one look at your outboard will tell you whether it is pulley or cable. You must buy what goes to your outboard now.

If it is cable and pulley,you should go to  Mayers Marina at the I-bay outlet. He has the proper cables.

Edited by rolmops

I agree with rolmops but here is a ""lightened" version of the pic in case someone wants to offer further opinion

Thanks for lighting it up. By the looks of it, it is cable and pulley. If you buy another cable you must either take the old one to Bill Mayer or take new measurements and include additional cable because it will have to go around that big wheel 2 or 3 times

Edited by rolmops

The Motor I put on the boat is a 1975 50hp Merc .It looks like The Motor has a single threaded hole to hook up the steering. I guess I'm a dummy Because i don't understand how to thread new cable on this one. All the ones that I am familiar with had 2 open pulleys with cable threaded in opposite directions that exited on opposite sides.. This one only exits on the Starboard side.

Thanks

Paul

It is either an older Morse or Teleflex rotary helm, hard to tell by the picture quality. At any rate it is a single push/pull style cable. Not a cable pulley type system. If your going to replace the cable you would be better off & money ahead to replace the system complete with the helm/bezel kit & cable. Look up a teleflex Safe-T Quick Connect Rotary Steering Kit  # TF-SS137XX  for the complete system with the XX's replaced with the lenght of the cable you need.

L&M is correct.  It is an old Teleflex rotary system. He is also correct that the best way to handle this is to get a new head and cable system.  Their web site will tell you how to measure for the correct cable length.  I put one of these in a boat I built in the early 80's and from what I hear, it is still working fine.