Good ice Canandaigua

tplatt

I guess it should be added that it is not the north end of the lake itself that has the ice but as of today the weather may get there yet.....a lot depends on wind direction and speed the next few days. Hey tplatt were you there last year with the tip ups at the Wegman's end ?

Edited by Sk8man

Yep....I saw you setting up your tip ups when I went by there last year and wondered at the time.... looked as though you were setup for pickerel/bass then (from the road anyway) :)  I've fished there for the crappies for many years but lately they have been getting rather scarce and on the small side. That area has quite a lot of fishing pressure in the early Spring/early summer for the size of it.  I've always been surprised that the crappies don't seem to be in the part near Burger King....

I believe it is private property (the Muar Lake) I have fished it from shore in the past during Spring and Fall but not much to show for it....very weedy

Edited by Sk8man

Yes it is that body of water. I don't know about the"hand" but a few people have drowned in that lake over time. I think the water park may own it but I'm not totally sure. There are largemouths and gills and pumpkin seeds in there but the panfish seem on the small side (when you get them). I've only fished it from in back of Abbott's ice cream place and Autozone though.

Good day out on the ice today next to Wegmans in Canandaigua today. Got out at about 2pm didn't feel like driving out to bradocks for pike so took the kids out for some Bass action. Had a bunch of flags but only managed to hook up once. Kids had a blast and that's all that matters!post-153815-13889627883656_thumb.jpg

I saw you (and your hut on the shore) when I went by at about 3:30PM to a party at a friends and was running late so couldn't stop to say "hi" or see how you were doing...thanks for the report. Your daughter looked like she was having a lot of fun when I went by. Les

Yes that is all that matters!! 

I had my kids out on Cayuta yesterday, not a single flag!!  We had a good time on the ice though.  I need to find a better fish catching body of water so my kids dont loose interest.  Thinking about hitting Honeoye soon if the ice stays good.  Just a longer drive for us....

• 1 month later...

I know this way off topic, but I am hoping to find someone familiar with Canandaigua ice.

I am down by Latourneau Christian Camp; about a third of the way down the lake on the East.

A couple days ago I measure the ice at 3" 10 feet from shore and 2" 25 feet out.

Yesterday I saw two people skiing 150' from shore.

What is the ice thickness likely to be out there?

I expect they wanted to stay out to keep away from dock bubblers.  What do you suppose the distance is from a bubbler where it doesn't affect the ice thickness?

Any help is appreciated.

I was just out off butler road today. Went with my 9 year old, the snow and slush was a little much for him so i didnt fish much...but did drill some holes. It is 7-8 inches everywhere we drilled. I think as long as you stay away from the bubblers there should be plenty of good ice.

Your questions are excellent.....but very tough to precisely answer. The ice down there formed much after the north end ice and although it was formed in the extreme cold and is "hard ice"  it isn't nearly as thick as that when you go north from there and to compound the picture there is the snowfall that happened right after that stretch of ice formed which has "insulated" it to some (but unknown)  degree. The ice near Thendara at Crystal Beach is about 5-6 inches but to the north of Thendara it varies quite a bit...the further south you go the more this variation will occur thus in some places you may find 2 inches while I suspect in others it will be 2-4 near where you are describing in the shallower areas but out in the deep parts who knows because it took longer to form and thicken and in some spots the geese were keeping it openforquite awhile.

As far as the bubbler goes it is also anyone's guess how far the current it creates travels laterally from it along the shoreline under cutting the ice as well as preventing formation of new ice. The one on Butler Road prevented us from accessing the fishing areas last year and somewhat during the early part of this season because of this lateral movement and it is quite a few feet away from the affected areas of entry to the ice. Last year my son and I both went in the water at the Trident Marina on Honeoye near the ramp because the bubbler had been activated while we were out on the ice which was"doable" when we went on it. The skiing situation you describe is particularly hazardous (and somewhat similar to the ice boats) in that the skis distribute weight so that it may be possible to go on thinner ice and for awhile get away with it but at some point if a weak spot is encountered or ice that is thinner than that surrounding it they too can get into trouble especially when they stop moving....

Edited by Sk8man