1st shelter suggestions?

Sneaky Duck

Hey guys, we were out on Braddock today (only caught a pair of bluegills) and it was real windy.  As I was setting up the tip-up we almost had an issue.  Sammie was in the fishtrap and the wind blew her over (she almost fell in the hole :P  I'm wondering if there's an effective way to anchor a flip-over fish house.  There's only 1 anchor point on the tent for a guy out line which is on the front, i'm assuming so you can anchor it down and keep it from flipping open in a gust.  I'm wondering if anyone's had luck putting an ice screw anchor up wind and looping the tow rope around it.  Then anchor down the front guy out to keep me somewhat in place.  The thing doesn't move at all when i'm sitting it in, but with just her or without either of us... it's VERY likely to wander around the bay.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advise King.  I did put the back to the wind (well at least where it was coming from 70% of the time since it kept shifting).  I forgot the shovel which was a bummer cause It would have been nice to have some snow heaped around the bottom to keep the draft out.

The Trap we got I can see is going to be an asset on windy days.  It's nice and low and we stayed SUPER warm inside with the heater running.  Neither of us had a coat on half the time and the heat was on low.  It's amaizing how much better the experience is fishing from that thing compared to freezing my butt off on a bucket.  The only issue we had were some cold toes on her from the breeze coming under the tent at times and had i thought of bringing the shovel I'm sure that wouldn't have been an issue either.

Thanks for the advise King.  I did put the back to the wind (well at least where it was coming from 70% of the time since it kept shifting).  I forgot the shovel which was a bummer cause It would have been nice to have some snow heaped around the bottom to keep the draft out.

The Trap we got I can see is going to be an asset on windy days.  It's nice and low and we stayed SUPER warm inside with the heater running.  Neither of us had a coat on half the time and the heat was on low.  It's amaizing how much better the experience is fishing from that thing compared to freezing my butt off on a bucket.  The only issue we had were some cold toes on her from the breeze coming under the tent at times and had i thought of bringing the shovel I'm sure that wouldn't have been an issue either.

Mr. Sneaky,I have never had trouble with my clam on windy days as long as its cold.

when I cut first hole I kick the slush and water where the clam is going to set and it will freeze to the ice.

I have the clam tamarack and for the price it works well.  Just make sure you detach the skirt from the ice/snow or the snow will detach it from the shelter.  My first time out my buddy was "doing me a favor" by picking up my shelter and he ripped one of the corners off.  It doesn't hinder its performance at all but it was literally brand new the day before. 

You can fit 2 guys and a heater no problem.

I had a reminder the other night why my clam isn't so great  at 7 PM in the dark on Honeoye in the super cold with the wind blowing.. those damned tiny buttons on the frame.. ..Trying to push them in with frozen hands in the extreme cold is a real pain as they are so hard to depress so you can fold down the frame. I sure wish they had made them bigger or something

Yeah sk8 i was SUPER careful when i was shopping for this thing to check that out.  Since it's the small model the top is all fixed length and the extender on the bottom for the bigmouth is a SUPER easy to use lever instead of those stupid tiny little push buttons.  I'm SO happy i went with the insulated model too.  I freaked out the poor DEC lady yesterday I think.  She stopped by and I flipped up the clam wearing just a tee shirt and jeans.  Totally caught her by surprise :)  Stays toasty warm with the heater running.  AWESOME since I had forgotten my mousies in the truck and they froze solid.  After the first 30 minutes of sitting out there they were thawed right out!  I'm thinking instead of drilling more holes for the tie outs, I'm going to put a pair of I bolts where the toe rope goes.  Then I can tie the tow rope to them and tie some guy lines to them to hold me firm in place on those super windy days.

:) :smile: :)  "I flipped up the clam wearing just a tee shirt and jeans" You're lucky she didn't have a straight jacket with her :)  I always keep my mousies and waxies and spikes in my inner jacket pockets so they stay warm then lift up the bottom of the outer one to access them. Glad you avoided the push button problem. lately I have left my Clam Pro in the car or at home and used my "old school" ice fishing tent from the 70's it is much lighter to drag and more mobile but the strong wind raises hell with it.  I used to use super large screw eyes for tie downs in the past....I'd just make a "starter hole" for the screw part and screw them in as far as I could and pack ice chips from my holes around thescrew eyes and they hardened up in the cold.  Wasn't great on a warmer day though