trolling etiquette

last year was my first year salmon fishing.

Is there a proper etiquette you follow when trolling

distance, direction or other rules that would help make it better for all

any thing you can share would be helpful

thank you in advance and have a great 2014 season

All the Fish Arn't in the Pack.  Stay away from the pack!!  That makes our life easier.  :lol:   We try to stay away from the boats.   Try to treat others as you would like to be treated works most of the time.

Hope I didn't offend anyone I was just wondering if there were rules you follow and are willing to share to limit combat fishing and stay out of the way of others .

I know charter boats are trying to make a living and things get intense sometimes.

It seems that at times everybody is doing their own thing and somebody always gets upset and the fight starts.

Again I'm new to this kind of fishing and trying to stay out of the way and not offend anyone.

thanks again and a Happy New Year to all

Dave's advice is right on target and if followed you'll be fine out there and probably catch more fish as well.....as in ice fishing folks clustered up doesn't mean they are actually catching either.... :lol:

There are rules for boating courtesy but there isn't one simple answer. The answers depend on the exact situation under consideration for example who is inside or outside and direction of each vessel whether they are under power or not (sails), size of vessels etc.  generally staying away from traffic is smart....I stay away from charters ( often inexperienced people on board etc.) give wide berth to planer boards and outriggers, and don't go full speed near anyone fishing, and get way the h  away from anyone that has a fish on.

Edited by Sk8man

Don't put yourself or anyone else in a situation that you can't correct out of without a mess.  Anticipate where everyone is going as best you can and plan your course accordingly.  Recognize that a lot of people aren't paying attention and some just own the lake.  When you see someone trolling North-South when everyone else is going East-West, ram them!  :lol:

That's a good question and I'm pretty new too so I've asked the same.  Leave room between your boat and others (plus extra) for whatever gear they might be running - planer boards can be out to the sides more than 100 feet and wire/copper rigs running behind the boat up to 1000.  If the pack is trolling East/West, cutting straight through headed North or South (particularly with no warning) isn't going to make you any friends.

The best example I've seen was last season, off Hamlin Beach during the summer derby, a very busy time for both charters and recreational fisherman.  There were five distinct lines of travel, all headed East/West and staggered about every 60 feet of water depth.  The boat to my outside wanted to cut in, hailed us on the vhf ("Calling white Starcraft, tan bimini top.", aboard the Jolly II...), told me what he wanted to do and asked what we were running.  No fuss, no muss.  Very glad he did too since we had a client fighting a nice salmon on a dipsy, back about 400 feet.   

L'S - Best advice is just to always be observant in all directions.  See what the others guy is running and which way the other guys are going and where they're going, then do your best to stay away from them.  Assume the other guy is going to hook a fish and give him the room you would like to land the one you're going to hook into.  Don't be afraid to run N-S when others are going E-W.  Just turn away well before you come across anyone's  path. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you want to see examples of what not to do go down to the area of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel when the striped bite is hot and see a thousand boats all trying to occupy the same spot on the water. It can be a real zoo. Turn on your radio and learn a whole new vocabulary.

Give 50 yards minimum on the sides & 150 yards minimum or more crossing behind someone assuming they don't have a fish on. Watch which way  someone coming at you is trying to head for and make a  very deliberate  move one way or another to show which way you intend to go.

If trolling parallell w/ shore and someone is inside of you going the same way,or coming at you, Try not to push them in shallower( Pet peeve of mine).

Generally ,keep an eye out & your head on a swivel.Easy for boats to sneak up on your blind spot. Stay away from eveyone or just outside of them till you learn.

Ha, you sissies!! :muscle::punch::muscle::punch::beer: :beer: :devil: :devil:

Go where you please  :* :mooning:  :* :mooning: and keep your flare gun handy just in case anybody dares to come close to you :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hi: :hi: :hi:

Edited by rolmops

I would say crossing behind a deep water troller with boards and copper line is one to stay plenty far back of. If you have riggers @100' you could catch a copper rig pretty easy.... my error, I see traviling man just said the same thing

Edited by scobar