SAFE ACT Update - Federal Judge Rejects 7 round Magazine provision

Fellow LOU members,

Here's the latest on the SAFE ACT challenge. It looks like Judge Skretny rejected the seven round provision today, but upheld just about everything else. Not sure where this takes us......

http://www.wivb.com/news/local/federal-judge-rejects-part-of-safe-act

Happy New Year,

Chris

Question: What would be the reason/rationale for having different criteria depending on zone or region? Is it because of the judge's jurisdiction?

Edited by Sk8man

Here is the email I just received from Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb:

Good Afternoon,

I would like to take this opportunity to update you on the recent court ruling regarding the New York State SAFE Act.

I am encouraged that one of the most onerous stipulations of the SAFE Act, the seven-round limit in magazines, was rescinded.  As I have previously stated, this is a terrible bill, brought about through a terrible process that tramples on the constitutional freedoms of law-abiding gun owners.

However, I am dismayed that other stipulations of the SAFE Act were upheld, particularly the ban on so-called assault rifles. While acknowledging that those types of firearms are “commonly used,†the judge said the State can regulate items that are deemed a threat to public safety. I would point out that far more New Yorkers are killed by baseball bats than semi-automatic rifles.

The New York State Rifle and Pistol Association and its President Tom King should be commended for their continued hard work on this litigation. I will continue to be a vocal opponent on this issue in Albany and will continue to provide updates as the legal process continues.

Below, please find links to recent local and national stories regarding the Federal Court rulings on the SAFE Act. 

Thank you, 

Assembly Minority Leader Brian Kolb

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3265192.shtml

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/01/nyregion/federal-judge-upholds-majority-of-new-york-gun-law.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

Contact Assembly Minority Leader Brian M. Kolb
District Office: 607 West Washington Street, Suite 2, Geneva, NY 14456, Phone: (315) 781-2030
Albany Office: 933 Legislative Office Building, Albany, NY 12248, Phone: (518) 455-3751
E-mail:
[email protected]
Find me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter
To unsubscribe from this e-mail please click HERE

The issue in my mind that is unclear is they refer to a 10 round magazine limit....they haven't to my knowledge ever said anything about a round in the chamber in addition to the ten in the magazine....anyone know any different for sure?