Ever try the drill attachemnts for an auger?

DJ 17

Has anyone ever tried one of these? They seem like more of a gimmick meant to catch fisherman? I would think they would kill the battery pretty quick.  Can you attach a cordless impact gun to them as well or just cordless drills?  I saw one at Bass Pro the other day and it got me wondering about them.  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks.

Yes they work . I have used a 6" and a 4" Lazers last season paired with a Bosch Lithium Ion cordless drills in 18 and 36 volt hammer drills . Nils makes drills with the adapter built in . They come in 4.5 6" and 8" they work very well. As for a driver they don't mate up .

Yes they work . I have used a 6" and a 4" Lazers last season paired with a Bosch Lithium Ion cordless drills in 18 and 36 volt hammer drills . Nils makes drills with the adapter built in . They come in 4.5 6" and 8" they work very well. As for a driver they don't mate up .

D.J, I've used the drill auger combo tor several seasons and it workes fine. I use a DeWalt drill with hi- low speed, have to use low speed, it does a good job. Once you get over foot of ice it kills my batteries quick, I carry four batteries. The new batteries may hold up better. Good luck.   O I use a six auger.

About 6 years ago I tried the top of the line Ryobi 18 volt and then a Dewalt and couldn't get them to do much at all (they may be different now). I then bought a Bosch 18 volt Lithium Ion Hammer drill with 2 Lithium Ion batteries and whammo....over 50 holes using a 7 inch Lazer blade auger on 6 inch ice on a single battery. After thousands of holes later I still use the same batteries. I used an Ice Master II adapter/conversion kit which I had to "adjust" by filing down the hex sides on the spindle so they were flatter and the drill chuck can get abetter purchase on them but that was it. I use the drill on the low speed high torque setting and have to be careful because it has so much torque it actually can pull you toward the hole. Keep the battery off the ice and if possible between major moves put it in your jacket to keep it warm....that way I have never had to use a second battery despite drilling a lot of holes.  Keep blades very sharp and let up on pressure when drilling as you get near the water so the torque lessens.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the type of thing you are talking about?

http://www.basspro.com/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Conversion-Kit/product/102242/  I've been looking for a cheap way to get more holes in thicker ice then drilling by hand.  I have an 8 inch Mora so I'm not sure how well a drill will drive the thing.  A flasher is on the wish list above a power auger right now so I've got to make due.

Yes that one would work but an 8inch blade is pretty big for most drills.....I use a 7 inch and that is about as big as I'd want to go and my drill is very powerful. This is especially true if the ice is thick and/or you want to punch in a bunch of holes. I can't see from the pic whether they have modified the part that goes in the drill chuck but with mine I had to file the edges of the spindle flatter so they would hold better as they were a slightly rounded hex shape

Edited by Sk8man

I was worried about that.  My buddy has an old weed whip that he wants to try and rig up to spin the auger but i was reading about people who've tried that and it doesn't have the torque.

Side question and a bit of a hijack sorry about that... what's the benefit of a smaller auger?  If you're going to get a gas auger why don't they all have 10 inch blades?  I can see with hand augers why you would want to drill as small as you can get away with cause it takes more effort but if a motor's doing the drilling... may as well go big right?

I was told in the past by a DEC Officer It is illegal to make holes in the ice that are10 or more inches because kids could fall through them. A drill has to have a lot of torque to work properly and most are geared for speed only and the higher the speed the less torque. I gave away my gas auger because the drill is superior around here ....If you are in Michigan or way up north here a gas auger may be needed for real thick ice but  for the last  5 or 6 years I didn't need mine. They can be a pain (gas spillage,fumes, and noisy).

Edited by Sk8man

With in the next year or so the sale of 10 in augers will be band in most states due to the fact that 10 in holes are so dangerous. In warm weather like this 10 in holes quickly become 12-16in holes. Also they don't freeze over as fast as 8 in or smaller holes. So at the end of a day ice fishing those 10in holes become potential pit falls for anyone walking on the ice and even worse for kids. Also if the temp doesn't drop below freezing they become even worse (like in last season). Like drift ice to many 10 in holes in the ice make it very unstable.

• 3 weeks later...

With in the next year or so the sale of 10 in augers will be band in most states due to the fact that 10 in holes are so dangerous. In warm weather like this 10 in holes quickly become 12-16in holes. Also they don't freeze over as fast as 8 in or smaller holes. So at the end of a day ice fishing those 10in holes become potential pit falls for anyone walking on the ice and even worse for kids. Also if the temp doesn't drop below freezing they become even worse (like in last season). Like drift ice to many 10 in holes in the ice make it very unstable.

Well I'm glad the DEC guys didn't check me out with my 10" Eskimo auger last winter, then.  10" holes are what you need if you are going to target big fish like pike, and large lakers.  Much easier to get a big fish's head started up a big hole, especially when there is more than 30" of ice!!