Kicker for PennYan 215 Tempest

Fish Magnet

I am going to be putting a kicker on my boat in the spring. I am looking for any suggestions or insight as to what other people have as far as brand of motor & size. I am thinking either an 8 or 9.9 hp with a 20" or 25" shaft should do it. But I am not sure which would be better. The Tohatsu motors are considerably less expensive than a Mercury, Honda or Yamaha but does this say something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Burt

Don't forget to get a controllking unit for that kicker. PM me for the best pricing for the one you end up with. Once you fish with one, you won't ever fish without one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I suggest a yamaha I have had two different merc's and can say the yamaha is a better quality motor. Not to say the merc's wouldn't work for yah. I use a controllking on my yamaha and love it. I did use a 9.9 on a 21 ft hard top trophy and it would push it just fine.

Jeremy

Edited by Tripleduece50

I believe if you look into it a little deeper you will discover that the smaller Mercs are made by Tohatsu so paying the longer money for a black housing may not be a fiscally prudent move

True or at least it was a few yrs. back.  I use a 9.9hp hi thrust yamaha long shaft.

I use a 15hp Johnson long shaft which work like a charm, I only need like 1/4 throttle to push my 22ft Sea Ray cuddy, I had to replace the lower unit water pump once, like 2 years ago. The only thing that is a little pain in the but, is it's a 2 stroke and not oil injected, so I have to mix oil and gas and of course need a separate fuel tank, I used to use the 6 gallon tank it came with and that was just one more thing to find a spot for, but after several trips of trolling from before the sun was up till 3pm I noticed I only used less than half a tank, so I purchased a 3 gallon fuel cell and I can fit the into the very back corner where really nobody get into anyway, I have only run out of fuel once, where we fished most of the day and then went back out for the late after noon bight and didn't put fuel in, it was my fault!!. One thing that really helped me out was the fuel oil company I use also sells Amsoil and he turned me on to this oil and he said it doesn't matter what the mix is for the engine is with this oil you can mix it 100 to 1 I was a little nervous at first, but I did what he said and the motor NEVER ran hot and starts on the second pull of the rope and the same spark plugs are in for I don't even know how long, I pulled the plugs to check them out and they were a nice light brown in color, I was amazed and will continue to use that oil. He told me that this oil will make the motor more efficient and he was right. If I ever need the extra horses to get back to port I have them, piece of mind. I looked into the control king and from what I gathered you need a 4 stroke motor, if I'm wrong please tell me I would really like one!! A kicker will cost up front but will pay for itself quick in saving gas using the main motor, I'm very pleased with my kicker!!

Last year I installed a new Yamaha T9.9XPA on a 27 Sportcraft (inboard).  Motor is great.  Paid $2800 from a dealer in Pa.  Add about $275 for a Yamaha #703 controller.  Bought cables online for about $100.  Also hooked up a tach with hourmeter for $60.  Tach is needed because it is so quiet it is hard to hear it running at idle.  Hourmeter on tach is great for oil change info.

I would not go any other way!

I've used a Yamaha T9.9 with both a 20" and a 25" shaft length on my PY 255 Intruder, the 20" worked OK but the prop would ventilate some in 3-4 footers and the motor would rev up and down.  The 25" works better.

I would also recommend using a solid mount like the one from Adventure Marine and go for electric start and tilt/trim.  Add a TR-1 Gold and you'll have a great package, gives you excellent boat control and lets you relax and fish.