Swivel or split ring?

For many lures it seems primarily a preference issue although they are easier to put on a swivel snap in the cold weather :)  . I have them on most of the 1500 or so spoons but there are a few that came without them and I've left them that way

I've kind of wondered the same thing at times. Some spoon manufacturers sell their products with split rings and some don't. The split ring has got to change the spoon's action while trolled... Whether that's a positive or a negative change is unknown to me. Depends on the spoon I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I never tie anything direct.  A duolock snap with a nice round bend doesn't restrict lure action and makes changing lures much easier.  I do NOT like snap swivels direct to the lure as I think that bulk and weight DOES affect action.  I always have a #10 spro power swivel between the main line and leader, then a fluoro leader and a duolock snap to the lure.  THe #10 spro is small enough to fit right through guides and level winds.

Regarding split rings on spoons, the manufacturers don't add them arbitrarily, if they come that way out of the package there's a reason for it, the manufacturer has determined that that spoon blank runs best with the ring,  Likewise, if there ISN'T a split ring on it from the manufacturer, they've determined that that particular blank runs best without it.  So I leave them however they come.

Tim

Never really gave it that much thought, my knots don't move on the spoon once tied. I haven't had any break yet. Knock on wood.<br />

<br />

Sent from my thinking chair...<br />

<br />

I also use the duolock approach most of the time and as Tim points out a high quality swivel is also used with it  (to keep the line from twisting) but for spoons small ball bearing swivels with solid rings are used.

Edited by Sk8man

You should always use a swivel someplace in the line with a spoon on Lake O.  Currents may cause it to spin and twist up your line.  As to rings, if you use a well rounded snap then not necessary.  If you use an elongated snap then yes add them. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)