Best Rigger Weights.

Xxx

I am going to get 2 new rigger weights and would like to hear what types have the least blow back, I read so many different kinds out there. I know the sharks are the hottest type out there but I just can't get passed the amount of $$$ they want for them. I'm more interested in, do the fish style work better then the torpedo  style or vise-versa. I have the older cannons and I believe I'm going to have to stay in the 12 pound range? I have the 12 pound pancake style and they lift them no problem. I also don't target the salmon depths all the time, I do a lot of walleye fishing, so I'm not always seeking 150 or 200ft of water. So what types suit you guys the best. Thanks for your knowledge and feed back. PAP.

I like the atomic torpedo weights or similar. They track great and have less blow back than most. I have an eight foot wide boat with four riggers. I have never had a tangle of cables like I have heard with other style weights. This is a personal preference type of question and you are going to get many different answers.

Good luck and tight lines

Edited by Richard

Maybe I got a bad pair, but my 12lb torpedo's from the same place had horrific blowback. I think they 'walk' side to side terribly and don't track very true at all. They will sit in the garage from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well I thank each and everyone who wrote in their results, with 5 guys sounding very happy with Trout mans Torpedo's and I very respectable person saying he's not happy. This is like reading a cabelas product report where everyone says how great something is and then there's 1 report that hates the whole thing, Hmmm, well I know nobody likes the fish style and I was leaning toward the torpedo's myself, maybe I'll hang out a day or 2 and see if anyone else comments on there preference, before I send Trout man some green Thanks again Guys!!

Actually people are talking about 2 different weights. One is made by a guy here on the forum. The other is made by a company named Torpedo Divers. The shape of the weights had kinda the same concept but the are shipped differently.

I liked my atomic 15# torpedoes from Atomik too Rick. That was until I snagged them on something 15' off bottom in 85 FOW just east of Wilson harbor last year. Broke both off and had to buy what Wes had in stock to get back out there. I still want to know what that was

I have been using 12# Sharks for the last few years without any issues. They are pricey :cash:  but seem to fish good. Deepest I run them is about 120'-130'. I don't really buy all the manufactures hype about the fish attracting abilities they have but the Sharks track well and blow back is definitely better than balls & fish weights.  Haven't run the torpedo's so no opinion on them.

http://www.sharkcannonballs.com/superstore.html

The price of shark downrigger weights has come down considerably over the last year or so. http://www.sharkcannonballs.com/superstore.html

We run 15lb and sometimes 20lb Sharks when fishing extremely deep. The prices are now very comparable to the other weights out there. I have run Atomiks, too and they are very good as well.

I have been using 12# Sharks for the last few years without any issues. They are pricey :cash:  but seem to fish good. Deepest I run them is about 120'-130'. I don't really buy all the manufactures hype about the fish attracting abilities they have but the Sharks track well and blow back is definitely better than balls & fish weights.  Haven't run the torpedo's so no opinion on them.

http://www.sharkcannonballs.com/superstore.html

Thanks for the link, very interesting, what a 10lbs shark can do, verses other type weights!!

• 2 weeks later...