down rigger ?

I'm looking at some big Jon or proos to go off the side of my boat. any pros or cons you have had experience with. second question rather my main question is boom length. the big Jon is a two foot boom length and the proos I can get a deal on have a 48" boom length. my boat is a 17' starcraft outboard. would two foot be enough extension out the side or would 48" be best route. thanks

Boom length less important than easy access to ball/cable for attaching fishing lines to it. There is only a 4 ft. difference in spread width. BigJon booms tilt up, but the ball swings freely with the waves. (not familiar with Proos). Swivel bases help, but access to the ball will determine rigger mounting location. You need to think about obstructions inside the boat that could make access difficult when the rigger is swiveled to attach lines and if the gunnel is strong enough and wide enough to support the torque of the rigger/ball. Power leads from the battery to the riggers are also a factor to consider. Where will the leads be routed? What gauge wire for the power lead length (heavier for longer)? Think these things through before getting any down rigger.

My winter boat is a 16'5" Alumacraft. I have 2 manual riggers on it w/ 1' booms at a 45 deg angle just clearing the boat. Never had any issues w/ this setup, using 12lb weights. Sometimes 'less is more' like better access and less stuff in your way- especially in the winter! -Andy

these will be manual riggers as well. was mainly concerned if two feet was enough extension to not interfere with the prop on turns. thanks for the responses

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have 2 short arms on my little boat. No  probs w/prop at all. If You get the long arms you will need weight retrivers of some kind. Don Supon is correct that you have to really think about where to mount all things before drilling holes. Very important! Get someone who has done the lake thing to maybe help you w/ the layout.

I have already ruled out mounting them off the back due to accessing the ball and hooking to a release as it would be quite a pita . thanks for the responses. looks like I'll go with the big Jon.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Might want to consider a track system with swivel bases. Ball retriever a definite on longer booms.

Strongly agree w/ Dan! Look at installing the longest tracks you can. This way the boat can evolve with you and accommodate multiple changes inside of a season.

I didn't do tracks and wish I would have.  It makes life so much easier adding, removing, or changing equipment.  In the summer my boat serves triple duty, salmon, bass, and walleye.  I wish I could have the adjust-ability that tracks give you.

I switch hit from Lake O to saltwater on the Jersey shore. 20 mins and I can have a totally different rig for fishing and spending with wife and kids. Track system can be pricey but can't beat its versatility <br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United