Looking to learn What lures in general are used for what fish

Unclepaul

Years ago I borrowed from a library an encyclopedia that had color pics of spoons, stick baits, etc. that listed them in categories by the fish species they were used to catch. I'm looking for something like that online. I have not trolled in many years and am planning on getting back into it when I retire. Just looking for a good place to re-learn.......without bothering anybody with lots of questions.

Thanks

Paul

Uncle Paul you are not bothering me at all with questions. Good time of year for this it's to cold for me to fish from a boat. Iam no pro at fishing but I think if you try fishing with some trolling spoons,like northern king or michigan stingers at about 2.5 miles per hour you can catch trout and salmon. My wife likes to pick out the spoon colors and seems to be green wins out with her and the fish. I don't think color maters as much as action? But this site has been a huge help for us over the last year and think it will help you to. Good luck. Jeff

This site is a gold mine of info on lures, colors, and techniques. I have been trolling for 8 years and the last 4 religously for salmon. I read and learn things almost every day on this site. There isn't a go to lure when it comes to salmon generally you buy 3 or 10 of similar colors in hopes you bought one they want that morning and one of the others for that afternoon.

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Edited by Chas0218

If you're after Trout and salmon on Big-O, then go nuts on the little over 3" long spoons.  There are a bazillion colors out there.  Throw in a few stickbaits like Rapalas, Bombers, Yozuri's (3-5") and a couple flasher/fly combos. (8")  BUT ALWAYS run at least one clean spoon in your spread.

Rainbows & Cohos prefer the flashy colors run fast.  Lakesr like the lazy slow stuff, Browns like natural motions.  Kings go nuts over the darndest things - one day they'll come out of nowhere and smash everything...other days you have to hit them in the head with it.   :)

Things to remember about Big-O salmonids: speed, speed, speed, experiment, speed. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Uncle Paul I won't go into makes of spoons. After 35 years on Lake O I've got just about every color & make on the market but since I represent Hot Spot I will mention Apex. That was the first salmon Lure I I got & it's still the most consistent. What I will say is get some watermelon! If I was fishing an area I wasn't familiar with that would be the color I'd put down!  

• 3 months later...

RECENTLY HUGE BROWN TROUT HAVE BEEN CAUGHT ON CUSTOM PAINTED JERKBAITS FROM A COMPANY CALLED BIGBASSBAITS.NET-THATS RIGHT BASS BAITS NOT ONLY CATCHING TROUT BUT BIG SMALLMOUTH BASS,HOTEST COLORS HAS BEEN HIS GOBY ALEWIFE AND HOT ORANGE WITH BLACK DOTS,YOU CAN CONTACT HIM AT   [email protected]     HOPE THIS HELPS   BIGJOHN

RECENTLY HUGE BROWN TROUT HAVE BEEN CAUGHT ON CUSTOM PAINTED JERKBAITS FROM A COMPANY CALLED BIGBASSBAITS.NET-THATS RIGHT BASS BAITS NOT ONLY CATCHING TROUT BUT BIG SMALLMOUTH BASS,HOTEST COLORS HAS BEEN HIS GOBY ALEWIFE AND HOT ORANGE WITH BLACK DOTS,YOU CAN CONTACT HIM AT   [email protected]     HOPE THIS HELPS   BIGJOHN

this is true! I had John make up the hot orange with black dots basically a custom Puerto Rican

post-153473-0-08641200-1400113783_thumb.jpg

post-153473-0-11968700-1400113804_thumb.jpg

post-153473-0-30999800-1400113839_thumb.jpg

Uncle Paul,

In times past we used to match colors to water clarity, sun angle ect. In today's lake and with cutting edge finishes you can get away with just a few color combos....here they are: lure names are unique to Moonshine lures....color combos are not!

Black/silver with green glow --- geezer, raptor, Crabface

Green glow & silver --- green shorts, bad toad

Green glow/blue & silver --- ratchet jaw

Black & green glow --- Carbon 14

If you want to run flashers use flys in the same colors above behind a white/glow or green/glow flasher.

You can catch 90% of your fish on these combos for the additional 10% you may need those other 300 combos.....or not!