DEC proposes regs to prevent the introduction of invasive species

Bigfoot

The scoop on this straight from the DEC in region 7 is this will only be enforced at DEC launches.  State park launches are not part of this.  Can anyone tell me a DEC launch in the eastern basin?  Mexico is a State Park launch not affected.  I believe there are only 2 on Oneida lake that will be included.

This has been started by the Lake Association on Lake George!  Suprise Suprise  they are trying to get regulations put into effect that will reduce the boat traffic on there lake....  Yuppies from the city who own lake front once again!

I am told as long as there are no visible weeds hanging from your trailer, we wont be bothered.  Makes sense to me.  I would encourage all of you to voice your opinion while you can.  We took the time at a recent meeting to discuss this with some of our local state level leaders as they were in attendance.

• 2 weeks later...

I don's see how they could possibly enforce it. They can't even manage to enforce the current regulations. But it would be a pain if they pick you to enforce it on. According to the proposed regulation, you are required to remove all plant and aquatic animal life and parts thereof from your boat (inside and out) and your trailer before you leave the launch. Usually at the end of a day of fishing, my floor is littered with bits of weeds. The only way it can be cleaned up completely is with a vacuum cleaner.

I can see taking measures to minimize the spread of invasive species but if they were to enforce these proposed regulation to the letter, the only boats that will be on the water will be those that are kept there and maybe cartop boats.

In Quabbin Reservoir in Massachussets these regulations have been strictly enforced for well over 20 years and today there still are no zebra mussels in the reservoir. Over there,unless you have a Quabbin sticker you will have to have your rig steam cleaned before you can enter the water

Edited by rolmops

• 3 months later...

Well now it is again'st the law to carry aquatic plants attached to your boat or trailer to or from any boat launch in NY State.This is the first step, then when it comes apparent that weeds are still going down the road they will put in place cleaning at launch ramps by private contractors and a fee to get it done!More money for Prince Andrew!

Edited by mostlymuskies

I may have to move my boat back to Youngstown as there is no way you can remove all the duckweed off your boat and trailer pulling out of Olcott.

I may have to move my boat back to Youngstown as there is no way you can remove all the duckweed off your boat and trailer pulling out of Olcott.

Just buy another one for Erie Chad!

I guess I will start bringing along the Honda Generator, Power Washer and 150 ft of garden hose so I'm over 100 ft from the launch! I wonder who's going to clean up all the weeds all over the parking lots, they will probably fine you if you do not take the weeds to a designated collection area at the launch.