New license regs for charters?

Chas0218

I was reading about the so called "new" licenses and stumbled across this.

Exemptions

You do not need to register if you are:

• Fishing aboard an appropriately licensed party or charter boat in the marine and coastal district. This does not include charter boats in the Hudson River north of the Tappan Zee Bridge.
  • A New York State licensed party/charter boat owner.

From what I understand I think registering is referring to buying a license.  Here is the NYS DEC site i got it from.  Can anyone clarify a little on this?  Does this mean if you are a charter the people you are chartering do not need licenses?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

Edited by Chas0218

Hey Guys. This has to do with fishing the Hudson River and tidal waters of the Hudson which it is all the way up to the Troy dam. Basically the law goes like this. if you are fishing on a charter boat below the Tappenzee Bridge and the Charter boat operator has a party license, you do not need to have a marine license as you are covered by the boat. If you fish above the Tappenzee bridge you do need a marine license even if you fish with a charter. The good news is that the Marine licenses are free and you can get them by calling the DEC or on line.

Mudflat is right. As long as you are fishing in the river proper and for migratory sea run species like herring and striped bass, you just need to have the free marine license. If you are fishing in the creeks off of the river, you need a regular NY fishing license. In all the years that I have been chartering for stripers on the Hudson, there has never been a license issue with the DEC for any of my clients.

O ok thanks for clearing that up I was going to be very surprised if they would have allowed that for all charters.<br />

<br />

Sent from my thinking chair...<br />

<br />

I think you need to spend more time in your thinking chair! :lol: