Cut Bait/Meat Rigs

Adk1

Ok, I am a newby here as you all know from previous posts. I have never run nor do  I currently own a meat rig.

I am abit confused regarding all of this talk about a shortage of cut bait..Everyone asking where they can get it etc? Can someone please explain to me the issues? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great pics but how do you attach the herring to the rig?

I've been using Hot Spot Rollerbaiters for years and never had a problem with them. They're designed with a rudder to impart the right rotation of the strip. For Herring strips use the #3 size Rollerbaiter. You don't need any toothpicks with the Rollerbaiters.

THANK YOU BOTH FOR THE ANSWERS! FOUND SOME PICTURES AND IT TURNED OUT I HAD A COUPLE OF THE RIGS BOUGHT AT A GARAGE SALE. THE PICTURES OF THE MEAT RIG HOOK UP HELPED GREATLY AND MADE SENSE. THE PICS OF THE SQUID FLY RIG LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE TRYING SOMETHING NEW THIS SEASON. 

LOVE THIS SITE! 

I POSTED SOME OF MY MUSKY BUCKTAILS ON EBAY AT SR#1-231124664833 AND HAVE MORE TO FOLLOW. INCLUDING 1/2 OZ, 7/8 OZ, 1OZ, AND MORE. NOT BRAGGING BUT YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER MADE BUCKTAIL. DOING MARABOO NEXT AND HAVE A UNIQUE SALMON/MUSKY TWIN SPIN COMING IN A COUPLE WEEKS. 1OZ. TO 4 OZ. FOR CASTING OR TROLLING. 

I FISH THE SOUTHERN END OF LAKE MICHIGAN FROM LUDINGTON TO WINTHROP HARBOR. NEAR SHORE TROLLER  IN A DOUBLE HULL SMOKER CRAFT WITH ALL THE TRICKS. BEEN DOING IT SINCE 1969. RETIRED BUT HAVE BEEN BUILDING BAITS ALL THESE YEARS. 

TOOK IT FROM A HOBBY BUSINESS TO A REAL ONE. NOT SURE HOW IT WILL SHAKE OUT BUT STILL HAVING FUN AND AFTER ALL THESE YEARS I STILL LOVE MAKING BAITS. I LIVE 10 MINUTES FROM THE PORTAGE IN. BOAT RAMP AND SPEND MANY HOURS ON THE BIG LAKE OR MUSKY FISHING OUR GREAT LAKES HERE IN. AND NORTHERN WISCONSIN. THANKS AGAIN. JB

sorry I was excited about this site. besides I'm not responsible for my actions until after my second cup of coffee. those musky bucktails I mentioned are now posted on ebay, way good stuff if you need some. item #131152689004

rebuilding my website as the old one won't work in the new browsers. I have musky/salmon/striper lures

steehead/salmon stream lures, bass/panfish lures all in very high quality and most unique designs 

even remakes of older designs like the shannon twin spin which I fixed the problems of the old style and made it into a great yo-yo bait for deep schooled fish as well as a super snag free lure for fishing down logs in rivers and lakes.

made up a double bladed micro buzz bait on that shannon spin platform. I sold 400 at one fishing show took second place in a lure designers website vote last year post-154574-0-26644100-1396018049_thumb.jpg

currently working up a multi-bladed lure that mimics a school of minnows breaking water when chased by a predator that also will work as a deep trolling lure. 

With 43 years of lure design and building going back to Mr. Bass while guiding on bullshoals lake in the late 60's and early 70's I can pretty much build any rig you can think of and many you haven't. 

not bragging just giving you guys a profile I think I like being at my bench building and designing as much as I like fishing well almost. recently retired and my bench time is a daily treat. I teach chess classes at 5 schools as well. Fishing money

Edited by MuskieMadness