First deer with a flintlock

DaveF

Really thrilled about getting my first deer with a flintlock. Always wanted to try it. I was talking to my new brother in law about it last year...I knew he hunted but gave it up...and he tells me he has a 54 cal. Lyman in the closet collecting dust, and he would be more than happy to give it to me. I told him..."THANKS i'll take it!!!!"

Only went out with it once last year without seeing a deer. Decided this year I would put more of an effort into it. PA's flintlock season is 12/26 until 1/11. I was visiting family in NJ at Christmas, and didn't return home until the 30th. Then New Years rolled around, then the bitter cold set in. I'm not sitting in a deer stand when it's -14 in the morning and warms up to -2. This past monday evening right before dark, I look out the bedroom window and see a real nice 8 pointer in a field 100 yards from the house, and it looked as though he came from the woods on the other side of the road, right where I have a ladder stand. I still have my buck tag and a doe tag, and was in that stand 2:00 tuesday afternoon with the flintlock. The ground is covered with a few inches of crusty snow, so about 4:15 I heard deer coming through the woods to my right. I look over and here come 4 does about 75 yards away. They were headed for the corner of another field, and I would never get a shot if they went that way and into the field. For whatever reason, the lead doe...about 25 yards in front of the other 3...decided to hang a left and headed right for me...the other 3 followed. The first doe was nice, but I could tell the second one was the cow of the heard. I had the gun on the rest and was ready. My only fear was they would see me. Had a quartering wind towards me, so I knew they wouldn't smell me. They keep on coming and it will be a 30 yard broadside shot...perfect. First one crooses my shooting lane and keeps going, The second one comes and is broadside. I give out a little grunt sound, and she stops. Put the open iron sight behind her front shoulder, squeeze the trigger...hope it fires...and BOOM. I see a wad of hair blow out the other side, and she wheels around and takes off with the other three. They all run about 60 yards and stop. I'm watching the one I shot, and she's just standing there. I start to think...did I miss? Did I hit her low? I couldn't have being that close. All of a sudden she lays down, and about 30 seconds later, she falls over.

I call my wife on the 2 way radio and tell her "I got my first deer with a flintlock!!!" She says "I heard you shoot....did you get that buck?" "No a big doe, but it's just as special". I went back out yesterday and today and didn't see a deer. Can't make it out tomorrow for the final day...taking the deer to me Dad's to get butchered. That 8 pointer will be a dandy next season.

post-150113-0-47425500-1389399376_thumb.jpg

Congrats Dave!! I love my front stuffer, It's quite a challenge to get one with the old smoker, they been pushed around for months already and they all have a education by now, I have a 50 cal. Lyman deer stalker, and a guy I know is really into his flint locks, shoots the running deer shoots and stuff like that, anyway he took my gun and gave it a going over with a little bag of tricks. It's a rare thing if mine doesn't go off and it goes off pretty fast also, I shot my personal best buck with it a couple of years ago, that doe will taste good come Feb, when the winter seems the longest to me anyway. You should be a proud man, excellent job, may many more lay before you once the smoke clears!! PAP/ 

Congratulations, good job with the smokepole and write up. Just curious what bullet were you using and the rate of twist of the barrel?

I have shot a few deer and elk with my .50 cal Knight in-line with powerbelts. I am still hoping to shoot a deer with my .45 cal flintlock. It shoots round balls very well with 1-66 rate of twist.

Here is hoping this does not turn into a powerbelt bashing. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Yours may be different than mine. That is OK.

Nice deer and story again.

Congratulations, good job with the smokepole and write up. Just curious what bullet were you using and the rate of twist of the barrel?

I have shot a few deer and elk with my .50 cal Knight in-line with powerbelts. I am still hoping to shoot a deer with my .45 cal flintlock. It shoots round balls very well with 1-66 rate of twist.

Here is hoping this does not turn into a powerbelt bashing. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Yours may be different than mine. That is OK.

Nice deer and story again.

Shooting a plain round lead ball with 70 grains of FF powder. Have no clue what the rate of twist is.

most flintlocks are 1in 66 or 1 in 60 my cva is 1 in 66 and my cabelas hawken is 1 in 60 

yours should be probably  one or the other  they are designed to be the most accurate for round ball because of the slow rate of twist

I had a ts hawkin 1in 48 and gave it away the cva and  cabelas were much more accurate

just for grins try 6 grains ffff followed by 90 grains pyrodex rs with 45 cal pre lube patch and 50cal rb

ffff 2 grains in the frizen pan

I've taken them at 125 yards with that combo

experiment and fun it only gets better