canal trip

Looking for input on a few day trip on the canal system. I would like to keep it to a 3 or 4 day trip starting at Cayuga. I was thinking Cayuga to Oswego and Back. Anyone make this trip? I have no idea how long this would take with all the locks. The other choices would be Cayuga to the west or trailer my boat to Onieda and head towards Albany. Looking for a nice boat ride with places to eat and even overnight places to stay along the way. With the help of a therapist I might be able to make the trip without 15 rods on the boat :lol:    Wes

My boat is a fishing boat but this trip is more geared for the wife and myself seeing the sights. New York has a good web site on the canal which has been helpful but looking for people like yourself that have traveled it. My boat has   ample vberth for sleeping but not much more for amenities. That is why I was thinking Oswego which has several hotels. If we had a bigger boat a longer trip would be great fun but 3 or 4 days will be long enough in a 21' trophy. I wish it was not so far but a trip down the Hudson or up to Lake Champlain would be a nice trip. Time to travel from Oswego to Cayuga would be helpful .  Wes

• 2 weeks later...

From the north end of Cayuga it will take you about 10 hours give or take an hour or two. Two locks in the Erie Canal and seven in the Oswego River. Oswego River will take you about 5 hours for the 25 mile length. 12 hours will get you to Oswego easily.

To eliminate the locks at the north end try launching at freebridge state launch in Montezuma, right off 5 and 20. To get to cross lake from there usually takes 2-3 hours depending on other boat traffic. Keep in mind that's traveling with a purpose.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Google cruising Americas great loop. There are a few very good website setup just for this. Of course the canal system is part of the great loop. I highly recommend it. I have wanted to do the same thing. My wife and I are even thinking about purchasing a trawler when we retire and cruising the entire loop for a year.