Downrigging with Dipsy Divers

Nessmuk

What?  Unless I misunderstand what you're suggesting, a dipsey diver on the cable without a downrigger ball on the cable would be just like having the dipsey on your wire line except it wouldn't dive as deep since the DR cable is heavier,  If you mean attaching a mono/braid dipsey rod to the release with a dipsey behind the ball, then yes.  You get more spread and depth that way.  You really need to snug down the release so that it doesn't pull loose from the tension of the dipsey.

Let me take another stab at this.   Put the dipsy on the DR cable (no DR ball) as if attaching a line from a rod.   Attach a release to the dipsy where you would normally attach the leader.    Attach fishing line to release.    Lower cable and let out line.   Assume that the dipsy will go down and to the side.   Fish strikes and line is pulled out of release and fish is played w/o dipsy.   This would be using the dipsy as a DR ball and allow a wider spread.

I was thinking about this but since I hadn't read about it or seen it in discussion on LOU I dismissed it.    Then while looking at a book found this described in one of the last chapters.

Probably not suited to working the deepest depths but might be a useful technique.  

Mostly wondering if anyone has tried this.  I don't have a clue as to how well this would work.

Are you trying to make the dipsey do the job of the downrigger weight with the purpose of having the dipsey make all the noise it would normally make in the water,but once you hook up you don't have the dipsey as part of the line? 

Are you trying to make the dipsey do the job of the downrigger weight with the purpose of having the dipsey make all the noise it would normally make in the water,but once you hook up you don't have the dipsey as part of the line? 

Yes to all but with the dipsy having the ability to pull to one side.   Two dipsys would spread the two lures out to the sides rather than to be locked the narrow track of the DR weights.   To me the ability to fight the fish w/o the dipsy and the ability to have more control on where the lures travel are both advantageous.    I also think the dipsy color and noise helps.

I have run wingers the last two seasons with great success on an 8.5ft beam.

They do pull pretty hard on the retrieve since I use cannon high speeds. With a a 3 rigger spread for kings you virtually fish as deep as you want with out any threat if tangles. I have run them with a 4 rigger spread for browns & they work great in that application as well.

You do have to watch the split rings when running heavy rigger weights ( I run 14's)...as I have straightened a few out after extended use.

As far as the dipsie & cable idea...never heard of it. I have run down & outs with great success... especially high sun .. mid day!

good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app