Lamprey eels

Xxx

I just watched a show on the Lamprey eels and what they are doing to try to control these ugly looking things. First they trapped a lot of these eels, to my surprise they are bigger and more abundant than what most of us think, this study was done on Lake Ontario and Lake Michigan, where they are effecting the trout families. They took these eels to a place where they put them into a device that injects them with something that makes the males unable to fertilize the female egg, but they still make the milky substance to fool the female to breed with the sterilized male. Over the years they claim it will cut the population in half, the part I don't understand is if you can collect the amount of eels they had (thousands) why not terminate them all together? they did say they need time to see if this theory works. Another thing a young biologist came up with is a scent they put into a feeder stream and he claims he can get eels from 3 to 5 miles out in the lake to come up this stream and it worked, they showed the eels coming up this little stream by the truck load where they collect the females and take them to this same facility and inject them with a needle which makes them not produce eggs, and then release them back to the waters, so they claim with 50% of the males not able to fertilize eggs and the females not producing eggs this will cut down the population dramatically. All this cost 3 million dollars, why not use what they called colon and put it in the feeder stream all around at different places and draw thousands of these eels in and just terminate them. When this guy put this colon in the water he claims it has no effect on any thing in the lake it just attracts lamprey eels both females and males, and you could walk across the stream and not get wet feet that's how many eels were in this stream. You could get rid of tons of these eels without costing a lot of money, buy transporting these eels back and forth for a shot. It was a very interesting show, but I think it could be done faster and more cost efficient. When they return the eels to the water even though they can't reproduce they still need to survive which means more salmon and trout will die. Some things didn't make sense and cost could be a lot less. I guess that's why I build starters & alt. for a living and not a scientist.  

It was on the WFN our channel is 699, I think it's called the World Fishing Network and they were doing a show on invasive species in the Great Lakes. Last week it was about the zebra mussels, and next week is a continuation of the lamprey eels, where they will be studying how long the life span of the eels are and how many fish they kill in their life span, the previews said they live 9 years, but they want to know how many pounds of fish they kill in their 9 years. Very interesting show !! I didn't know that the eels nearly wiped out the Lake Trout. I'm bad with dates, I think it was in the mid 60's up to the 70's when Canada and the United States started to work together to protect the trout species in the lakes. They cut way back on the stocking of the salmon and trout until they got a grip on the eels population. OH, one other thing they found was the lamprey eel like totally freaks out when the scent of a dead eel is present, so the scientist found out, and they think that they might be able to use this scent to force the eels in a direction to congregate them into a smaller area and then spray them with lampricide, to kill more eels with less juice, and if this works it will be the most cost effective method they found yet. Hope it works!!

They will NEVER be able to kill every single lamprey out there. They also have to be mindful not to damage reproduction/health of the american eel. It looks very smililar to the lamprey but is native to NY.

In practicing this methodology, it will create a long term management plan that will decrease the number of lampreys over time. This is a much more sustainable and humane

PS the lampreys also attack salmon.

I agree totally with your statement!! They did mention that the means to try to control the lamprey eels only effect the lamprey, the other type eels and other aquatic species and plants are not effected by this method of control. They also said their goal is to get 90% of the eels, they did say they will never kill them all, and this will be a long term goal. I also know that the lamprey do attach themselves to the salmon, I have caught fish with the markings, but never witnessed a eel attached to a fish. There were some posts during the salmon season with eels attached to their catch and even a video with one squirming around on the floor of their boat. I also remember some guys saying that the eels were attached to their rigger weights.

They will NEVER be able to kill every single lamprey out there. They also have to be mindful not to damage reproduction/health of the american eel. It looks very smililar to the lamprey but is native to NY.

In practicing this methodology, it will create a long term management plan that will decrease the number of lampreys over time. This is a much more sustainable and humane

PS the lampreys also attack salmon.

The American eel does not reproduce in fresh water,the entire world population of eel spawns in the Sargosso sea which is part of the Caribbean.

Interesting article on American eels.

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/indiana/journeywithnature/incredible-journey-american-eel.xml

They don't reproduce in freshwater because only the females come in from the sea.

But back to lamprey eels, why not use the scent to call them in, catch them, then sell them in Britain for their "Lampry pie."   That project would probably pay for itself.  Supposed to be a delicacy for the royalty.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I think you have to follow the grant $$ in some of this research Pap. The longer they can draw out a research program the more money they get.  Ya think?

....and yes fathobbit, Cayuga lake is in a major collapse from the lampreys,....we have been getting major attachments on our boats and downrigger balls as well as on the fish since mid 2012.

post-139511-0-82416800-1389700230_thumb.jpg

Edited by stinger

Your are absolutely right Long Line, and that would generate a lot of money for the eel control program, I went on line and even the Queen of England loves lamprey pie (YUCK) anyway I certainly agree that a lot of attention should be focused on the finger lakes, those photos are a true sign of trouble. On another TV. program there are a bunch of guys that dip net some type of eels and they sell them by the pound, and a pound of these eels pays $300.00 to $500.00 a pound!! and this other guy then sells them to some foreign country where they raise them to a certain size and then they eat them. I did take notice that when it's in the early spring they are close to the ocean and they go up little feeder streams, some eels pay more than others. The so called glass eels pays the 5 Ben Franklins a pound. They are very small almost like the size of a red fish worm, it takes a lot to make a pound, but these guys get up to 5 pounds on a very good night, $2500.00 a night isn't a bad nights wages!! Takes me a couple 40hrs weeks to make that kind of$$. We could supply the world with enough eels out of our lake systems.

They sien the alvens in the spring as they return to their growing rivers. They are born in the ocean and then return to their rivers to live and grow to adulthood. <br />

The guys I met were getting 2 to 5 thousand a pound in the Japanese market. They are cut throat types and only a few licenses are granted. I believe the season lasts only a week or 2. <br />

The Cayuga lampreys are killing our fishing. The DEC better get this problem solved. I don't want to hear anymore excuses. <br />

<br />

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br />

<br />

Very interesting video, the fishing would be a lot better if they wouldn't have to be on their toes (fins) constantly on the watch for the eels. It must be rather nerve racking being in the waters that are infested with these damn eels, stress plays a big factor on a fishes life, not being productive in reproduction and maybe even shorten their life span (I'm not certain of that, only just saying) I mean look what stress does to a human. One would only think the same with a fish if something was constantly after it? sooner or later it will suffer from fatigue, not?

This is from NYS DEC web site. Even though the study is in Lake Champlain you can ditto it for Cayuga.

"Studies on the Great Lakes show a 40 to 60 percent mortality rate for fish attacked by sea lamprey. Other studies found that a single sea lamprey can kill 40 or more pounds of fish during its adult life."   this is from http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6998.html  

There have been many fish on Cayuga caught in the last year and a half with more than one eel attachment. Actually we where catching dead fish and the fish just didn't know it yet.  I wish I had pictures to show you of the eels attached to the lower unit of my main engine and the back of my transom while trolling. I sure RustyRat and many others can attest to that.

I think you have to follow the grant $$ in some of this research Pap. The longer they can draw out a research program the more money they get.  Ya think?

Researchers have to apply for grants. About 13% of all the grant applications are accepted and actually get money rewarded. It would be against the interest of the scientist to drag out research because he will not get additional funds and beyond that ,it will hurt his reputation.

If you do not believe this,ask any researcher.

They sien the alvens in the spring as they return to their growing rivers. They are born in the ocean and then return to their rivers to live and grow to adulthood. <br />

The guys I met were getting 2 to 5 thousand a pound in the Japanese market. They are cut throat types and only a few licenses are granted. I believe the season lasts only a week or 2. <br />

The Cayuga lampreys are killing our fishing. The DEC better get this problem solved. I don't want to hear anymore excuses. <br />

<br />

The eel do not always return to their own rivers. They go to wherever the currents take them,which can also be Europe.

As glass eels they are also very heavily fished by the Spanish who also sell them to Japan. Do you have any idea how many glass eels there are in a pound of eel? This is probably the biggest reason why the american eel is endangered.

Edited by rolmops

That's a damn shame that those eels are in there that thick. Is there any talk or action going to take place to try to control them? I mean if they are that hungry that they suck fast to your boat that's really bad, and enough to turn fisherman away from that particular lake, then the whole area suffers on the account nobody is trying to do something about the situation. If they can do a good job on the eels on a lake as big as Ontario and Michigan, they should be able to put a hurting on them big time on the finger lakes, I realize they are long but not near as wide as Ontario, so using the methods on Ontario should be a lot easier on the finger lake, does anyone know if there are plans to do something about the eels on your lake? I hope for your sake and the fish that someone realizes the severity of the eel problem!!

There are many somewhat complicated issues connected with it The chemical lampricide can only be administered by certified people, and the weather and water flow conditions have to be exact for it to work right and without danger to other species. There are not only economic factors (i.e cost of applications) but social ones as well... for example all the "goody goodies" protesting and lobbying the use of the chemicals in the watershed etc.

Please don't tell me you have those A holes around up there also, with the drastic problems of the eels, Don't they realize that if the condition gets worse the fisherman won't go to those lakes, and then you have the economics coming into play, which hurts the hole area that rely on the funds from the fisherman to survive. I read somewhere that the amount of money spent on fishing the Great Lakes and the Finger Lakes was in the billions of dollars. So it will definitely effect those lakes with horrific eel problems, don't they realize that?. I guess not they walk around with side blinders on, and don't think about the folks that need good fishing to survive.  Hotels, eating places, bait shops, marinas, gas stations, on and on. They need to wake up and smell the coffee!!

The last lampricide treatment (4 or 5 years ago) was missed because of high water (so we are told), and that is what caused this massive lamprey eel infestation. Years of growing one of the finger lakes best fisheries was destroyed in less than two years ( my opinion ). Remember each adult lamprey will kill 40 or more lbs of fish. That’s a lot of fish. Those beautiful 12 to 15 lb tournament winning lake trout that we used to catch are few and far between if at all now. Our trout and salmon fishing has also suffered. Look at the tournament leader boards for the last couple years and you’ll see the decline of quality fish. The last couple tournaments in 2013 were won by fish that would normally be bumped off the board in years past. A lake trout can live up to 20 years and Cayuga Lake can support that longevity.

Eel traps is one way to curb the eel population. I’m sure that DEC would get enough volunteers to help man the traps. Look at all the pen rearing projects on Ontario. Maybe even sell the eels to help fund the program. The traps would get the adults before they spawn. Not after the ammocoets are in the creeks and maybe killed with lampricide every 4 years if the water conditions are right and if DEC has the manpower and if New York will spend the money. Every dead adult will take hundreds of future eels out of the life cycle and remember each eel returning to the lake as an adult will take out 40+ lbs of fish. All the stocking programs we have are useless if all we are doing is feeding the lamprey eels because our lampricide program is on a hope and a prayer.

OK,.. I got that rant off my chest,..... but I don’t feel any better.

The last lampricide treatment (4 or 5 years ago) was missed because of high water (so we are told), and that is what caused this massive lamprey eel infestation. Years of growing one of the finger lakes best fisheries was destroyed in less than two years ( my opinion ). Remember each adult lamprey will kill 40 or more lbs of fish. That’s a lot of fish. Those beautiful 12 to 15 lb tournament winning lake trout that we used to catch are few and far between if at all now. Our trout and salmon fishing has also suffered. Look at the tournament leader boards for the last couple years and you’ll see the decline of quality fish. The last couple tournaments in 2013 were won by fish that would normally be bumped off the board in years past. A lake trout can live up to 20 years and Cayuga Lake can support that longevity.

Eel traps is one way to curb the eel population. I’m sure that DEC would get enough volunteers to help man the traps. Look at all the pen rearing projects on Ontario. Maybe even sell the eels to help fund the program. The traps would get the adults before they spawn. Not after the ammocoets are in the creeks and maybe killed with lampricide every 4 years if the water conditions are right and if DEC has the manpower and if New York will spend the money. Every dead adult will take hundreds of future eels out of the life cycle and remember each eel returning to the lake as an adult will take out 40+ lbs of fish. All the stocking programs we have are useless if all we are doing is feeding the lamprey eels because our lampricide program is on a hope and a prayer.

OK,.. I got that rant off my chest,..... but I don’t feel any better.

Hey, I don't blame ya from coming apart at the seams, when you can plainly see your fishery falling to $hit before your own eyes. I'm sure they would have no problem finding volunteers to do just about anything they need help with. I hope for your sake and the others they start to do something, NOW!!!.

Lots of wrong info here...

Let's take a look at the facts.

According to the DEC website:

Cayuga Inlet, where about 90% of the lampreys spawn, was last treated with lampracide in 1996. In most years the adult lampreys are trapped at the fishway and destroyed by DEC personnel. This is usually adequate to keep wounding rates at acceptable levels.

During 2007 and 2011 high water allowed spawning lampreys to bypass the barrier at the fishway. The damage everyone has seen on Cayuga to our trout and salmon is a direct result of the 2007 age class of lampreys. Those eels will return to spawn this year and (unless there is high water)they will be destroyed at the fishway. Or, if the bypass the fishway they will die after spawning.

DEC is planning on treating the inlet this Summer and that should destroy most of the 2011 age class living in the inlet. We should see lamprey levels at acceptable levels as a result.