Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and new to trolling on Lake Ontario.  I have been an avid boater on Ontario for about the past 7 years and recently upgraded my boat.  I purchased a vessel that would not be considered a fishing vessel by most.  It is a 28' Chaparral cuddy cabin, but I figured hey, I've got a boat why not do some trolling.  I have trolled in smaller inland lakes for many years but again, new to Lake Ontario. 

I am looking for any help at all.  I have a setup in mind that I already started putting together.  I purchased two flush mount rod holders and two cannon downriggers.  I am going to get the gimbal mounts so that I don't have to keep the riggers on the boat all the time.  I have two of the Cabela's 8'6" medium action rod/reel combo's with line counters on them that I want to setup on the riggers for Browns and any species of Salmon I can hook.  I am not looking to make a big hobby out of this but want to be able to make all the use of my boat that I can.  At some point I will probably add the additional rod holders to each down rigger and maybe a couple simple clamp on  rod holders at the transom setup with some dipsy's or lead core. 

My big questions are these.  Any thoughts or comments on the setup I am looking to do.  What kind of bait, lures, line, etc. should I be looking to carry?  What about trolling depths, speeds, etc?  What about general hot spots? (I plan on keeping the boat either in Hamlin, Braddock's Bay or somewhere on the Genesee River)  What about times of the year?  I would like to do some fishing around Chaumont Bay in the beginning of August and otherwise general summer fishing (June/July) anywhere from Point Breeze to Sodus. 

I know I'm probably the annoying new guy but any beginning pointers would be more than appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

I'm almost as new as you are, so I won't try to give tips that I'm still working on, but don't fear, there are a lot of experienced, helpful folks out here, and

you will get some pointers soon enough.

As Bruce Willis said in Die Hard, "welcome to the party pal".

If you are anything like me, there really won't be an option not to make this a "big hobby" once you start catching fish.

Jim

Welcome!!! Your setup will work for your needs. Make sure the flush rod holders you have are all metal including the pin in the bottom. Some have plastic and they will not hold up for riggers/rod holders. As far as baits/depths/etc. it depends in species and time of year. Generally browns are in shore early in the season (as soon as ice out) and shallow 2-10 feet of water and are usually targeted using long lines with planer boards pulling stick baits and spoons. The salmon will be deeper chasing bait. For salmon spoons, flasher/fly combos, and cut bait all work. As far as location I'm further down the lake to the East (Fair Haven) so I will let the other guys from your area chime in on that. If you do searches on early spring brown / salmon fishing you will get some information. Also you can check old fishing reports and get some information

Mike

'Bout Time II

Edited by bout time

Welcome to the site.  You'll  probably find most of us have just as much money in gear as we do in the boats. (some even more)   :)   If I were you, I'd start out simple.  Just for a reference, on these cold winter nights, go back thru the report section and you'll see what worked when for a lot of guys last year.

Looks like you've got a good start.  For lure  starters, in that area (Genny) I'd get some spoons about 3 1/2" long.  NK's (28's), Dreamweavers (aka DW's), Stingers.  Colors I like are green, black, purple & glows.  Speeds vary & need to be determined by experiment daily.  2-3 mph down speed. Last year towards the high end worked best for me.  If fishing early in the morning try the shallower areas then move out deeper by mid morning.   These fish (salmon) scatter & sometimes takes a lot of searching to find.  Browns don't move nearly as much as the Kings do.  There are also a lot of Lakers in the area that generally hug the bottom.  Definitely fish the bait when you find it.  Troll thru it, around it, above it & below it.  Generally on the outside works best for me.(deeper side)  

As to time of year, a lot of guys try to get out late March & go thru Sept.  But any time you can get out is a good time to go.  Just make sure you keep an eye on the weather. 

H.I.H.  Good luck.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Welcome. This site is great and you can get almost any question answered. When you do add dipsy rods to your set up make sure to use a solid rod holder. Nothing plastic as a salmon hit will take the whole set up right off the side of your boat.<br />

<br />

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br />

<br />

Welcome to the site.  You'll  probably find most of us have just as much money in gear as we do in the boats. (some even more)   :)   If I were you, I'd start out simple.  Just for a reference, on these cold winter nights, go back thru the report section and you'll see what worked when for a lot of guys last year.

Looks like you've got a good start.  For lure  starters, in that area (Genny) I'd get some spoons about 3 1/2" long.  NK's (28's), Dreamweavers (aka DW's), Stingers.  Colors I like are green, black, purple & glows.  Speeds vary & need to be determined by experiment daily.  2-3 mph down speed. Last year towards the high end worked best for me.  If fishing early in the morning try the shallower areas then move out deeper by mid morning.   These fish (salmon) scatter & sometimes takes a lot of searching to find.  Browns don't move nearly as much as the Kings do.  There are also a lot of Lakers in the area that generally hug the bottom.  Definitely fish the bait when you find it.  Troll thru it, around it, above it & below it.  Generally on the outside works best for me.(deeper side)  

As to time of year, a lot of guys try to get out late March & go thru Sept.  But any time you can get out is a good time to go.  Just make sure you keep an eye on the weather. 

H.I.H.  Good luck.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Yeah, what Tom said.  The gear on my boat is worth a lot more than the boat itself is :)

H.I.H.  Good luck.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Only things I would add are a couple of flasher fly combos (spin doctors or echips) in white or green to start with (and many more once you get hooked).  For line since you are looking to fish summertime I would use 30lb mono mainline on your rigger rods with lighter leaders 15 to 20lb and wire line (30lb 7 strand) on your dipsy rods.  Fleas will be bad that time of year and lighter line or braid will make fishing not so fun for you.

You picked a good time of year to look for gear.  There are and will be more "lots" of spoons/flashers in the classified section that would be a great starting point for you.  Also might consider going to the LOTSA show in Niagra Falls on the 26th. 

Good luck.

Let's get something clear. There is still time to turn back. Chances are you will be hooked first big king you put in boat. All the info you need is here And don't think your annoying anyone. Network with people. And go

Ou with them and watch. If you have money go on a guided trip and wTch and ask questions A couple hundred dropped on a guide is like taking a class it's an investment in your education You can learn more in on afternoon on a guided trip than a month of trolling solo

Let's get something clear. There is still time to turn back. Chances are you will be hooked first big king you put in boat. All the info you need is here And don't think your annoying anyone. Network with people. And go

Ou with them and watch. If you have money go on a guided trip and wTch and ask questions A couple hundred dropped on a guide is like taking a class it's an investment in your education You can learn more in on afternoon on a guided trip than a month of trolling solo

Here are a couple pics from my old setup which is similar to what you were describing. This setup worked well for me when i had that boat. but like what everyone else has said once i was hooked out went that boat for a new one and a whole new setup.

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0132.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks everyone!  Thanks for the pics Bout Time!  I'm sure everyone is right on, like most things I do I plan on starting small but I'm sure I will be "hooked" before long.  I have thought about the charter idea for the day too, but I was nervous that the Captains may get a little annoyed that you are trying to "steal" their ideas and techniques.  I don't know if fishing is that competitive so I figured I would start here.  

Does anyone have experience fishing either in or outside of Chaumont Bay?  I spend 11 days at Long Point State Park every August and wouldn't mind taking the time to fish those waters a little.  

What about Walleye on Ontario?  I know Erie is a better choice but has anyone had any luck with the eye's out here?