Tranducer mounting

A true thru hull transducer requires you to cut the hole into your hull. Basically if you laid under your boat on the trailer or at dry dock you could see it. I used epoxy to secure my lowrance thru hull trasnducer to the bottom of my bass boat without cutting any holes and i can keep reading bottom unitl i go over 65mph. I got the 2 part epoxy from autozone i think.

Jeff I hope with the new wife...oh I forgot your not married are you?. I haven't seen much of you this winter. Hopefully, I will when the weather breaks! That is is she will let you out! LOL

So what you have is a Shoot-Thru Hull transducer on your bass boat YT?

Yup, I have two of them. One for my digital lowrance flasher and another for my lowrance fishfinder. You epoxy it center of boat near the rear in the bildge area. Like I said I can keep bottom up to 65mph (except for when i jump a wave). It marks fish too, but I only really loo at this when im idoling.

Bass boats use this becasue at the speeds they travel and the amount of boat that is inthe water when trimmed out anything that an offset the boat can create a chine walk or the boat not to handle and hard to drive.

Yes it is. Like I said I have two of them that way.

Im not saying its the best, but thats the way they do it in the bass boat industry, or at least the top of the line manufacturers. If I were to buy a brand new furuno u bet Im having a marina drill the holl in my trolling boat and mounting a true thru hull.

The "true" thru-hull that YT is taking about gives you an amazing picture. Because the transducer is mounted completely thru the hull on the bottom of the boat away from any prop wash or cavitation bubbles it operates flawlessly. With my old 667 thru hull I could pick up bait while I was up on plane, and with my new 585 with twice as much power I'm expecting an even better picture. I gotta admit that drilling a 2" hole in the bottom of my boat was a bit unnerving, so I hired Krenzer Marine to come install this new transducer and fairing block. It came out great.

Bill,

Installed one on my penn yan 2 years ago and love it!!! Picks up thermocline at cruise and everything else that swims!!! Yes it was a little unnerving cuttin that 2 inch hole in the bottom, but the beggest issue was cutting the correct angle on the faring block!!! It came out sweet and have installed over a dozen since then with proven success!!! Anyone interested in installing one or needing assistance id be willing to help! they realy do make a big difference :shock:

No, they don't epoxy those in. I believe that they use a marine sealant like Life Seal. It's probably best to check with someone like L&M who does these installations all the time since there'll be a big hole in the bottom of your boat and the last thing you want to do is use the wrong sealant.

The instructions for my Airmar thru-hull transducer recommended using 3M 5200 (the white stuff), not Silicone. The disadvantage of using the 5200 is it's permanent. If you ever needed to remove or replace your transducer you won't be able to get it out without taking part of the hull with it...

-Steve D

I know that this question will probably activate all the jokers (Ray), but I'll try and get a straight answer from someone. so here goes.

Can you see your balls with the in hull installation? With the transom mounts they can be adjusted after the mount is attached. How about the in hull transducers....adjustable? If not :shock: , then what?