Dipsy Rods

Adam, in some cases it is pretty easy to try a spiral rod for very little investment. Quite often, you can take a standard factory two-piece rod and turn the front half upside down and reposition the second or second and third guide and end up with a more fishably enjoyable rod than the original. It's really pretty easy to strip the finish and thread as long as it is not the UV cured finish that sets up literally in seconds that some manufacturers are starting to use nowadays. Traditional epoxy finishes can be warmed, softened, and easily stripped. Then you just clean and prep the area, wrap the guide back on with a similar color of thread, and apply a thin application of rod finish. A small spool of thread and a small epoxy kit should cost less than $10.

There are you-tube videos and videos from component suppliers like Mudhole and FlexCoat that can guide you through the actual steps, though you probably won't find specific ones about converting a rod, you would just adapt the info to this application.

You could also have your local tackle store that repairs rods perform this service for you for a minimal cost. It's been my experience that most people who can get over the appearance of the spiral wrapped guides, will prefer them once they get used to handling them. The biggest comment I get from people who try them is that when you are attaching line to a rigger release and you rest the rod but on the deck of the boat and the weight of the reel turns the rod upside down, the guides are now on top instead of underneath. If it is your habit to run your hand up the top of the blank to get ahold of the line, your fingers now find guides where before they felt a smooth underside of the rod. It's not a big thing, but if it's your habit, it will take some getting used to.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Its a personal choice like others have said.  I have used 10.6, 9.6 and 8.6 dipsie rods with  twili and without.  Carson was able ro bring this King to the net with very little help.  This is why I like the shorter roller rods !

post-139530-0-27095400-1389888663_thumb.jpg

Its a personal choice like others have said.  I have used 10.6, 9.6 and 8.6 dipsie rods with  twili and without.  Carson was able ro bring this King to the net with very little help.  This is why I like the shorter roller rods !

I'm in the same shoes, I have 2, 9 year old daughters and a 71 year old uncle, and we all fish together well and it's a lot of fun when you have equipment that works for the people on board and to handle the size of the fish with out getting a work out at the same time!!

I don't Andy , but Jeff may.  The rod holders are about 3' ahead of the swivel for the rigger.  And we run them flat to the water.  The clear the riggers fine.     .  Lots of power in the middle   With the lighter rod they  work well on the fingerlakes.

Edited by Big Dave

It is one I can't get anymore unfortunately.  It was an American Tackle blank that has a nice moderate action that loads up really well.  Looking for an economical replacement without much success so far.  The one in the picture below is an 8 footer that I can get but I think it is borderline too light.  Haven't run it much so I don't know if it will hold up yet.  Did just get a new 7 foot blank that I haven't wrapped up yet but it looks like it has potential.

I just laid out a set of roller guides on the new 7 foot blank and loaded up to see what it looked like.  Looks like it's a keeper!

post-139696-0-36310400-1390049925_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miss em

One other lesson learned I would like to share.  If you are using a Twilly Tip in a spiral guide configuration, you may have issues with breakoffs.  Twilly does a great job in manufacturing to make sure that the end of the spring towards the reel (the spring end has a sharp end) ends up in the top of the guide.  We were running a wire rod with a Twilly one day as a copper rod.  Of course while trolling, the weight of the reel made the rod spin around in the rod holder so the line ended up riding in the top of the twilly.  It cut that braided backing like a hot knife through butter.  Don't know if it would cut the stainless but it can't be good for it. 

post-139696-0-01757700-1390143835_thumb.jpg

Thanks Miss em, funny how we never forget bad / unexpected things. I'm still looking at 8' long rods that I could attempt to spiral guide, I've replaced a couple guides in the past with success but am a little concerned with John's comments on the rods with a more permanent finish. I'd hate to learn that the hard way.

Bob

Adam, you will find out pretty quick which type of finish you have. If you warm the finish, and it is traditional epoxy, it will come off pretty easy. Just be sure you don't overheat the blank and damage it.

If it is the newer UV curing finish that does not soften with heat, that will require great care and a much more mechanical process to remove the finish - you must be extremely careful not to damage the blank.

If you have any doubts at all in your abilities, I would think twice about attempting to strip the UV cured finish.

Edited by John E Powell

What some smart manufacturer needs to do is approach diver rods in a different way. All they need to do is build two diver rods, one matched to standard diver size and one matched to magnum diver size. The rods should be built to use interchangeable handles of varying length. In this way you buy your tip matched to diver size and you buy your handle in the length you need for your boat.

Now you just put your two parts together and you have exactly what you need for your boat's particular layout.

Wouldn't that make sense?

What some smart manufacturer needs to do is approach diver rods in a different way. All they need to do is build two diver rods, one matched to standard diver size and one matched to magnum diver size. The rods should be built to use interchangeable handles of varying length. In this way you buy your tip matched to diver size and you buy your handle in the length you need for your boat.

Now you just put your two parts together and you have exactly what you need for your boat's particular layout.

Wouldn't that make sense?

Other than your original post, this is by far the best idea I heard yet!!, maybe you could put a bug in the big rod manufacturers ears!! LOL

• 1 month later...

Cannon Mag 10'S with 4' booms .  The dipsie rod holders are about 3' to 4'   ahead of the rigger swivel.   Most of the time I have the riggers at the 45 degree .  Mostly so I can see the cable on the one and judge my speed and crosscheck it with the fishawk & Gps.  They clear the riggers fine at the 90 too.  Unless some is watching everything, but where they are going.  :lol:   The titelocks are gone, but big jon dipsie holders are in the same place.

post-139530-0-18923700-1393713489_thumb.jpg

post-139530-0-01286500-1393713532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big Dave

If you using a dipsey and are having trouble with the leader being to long to net a fish switch from a dipsey go to a slide diver. You can have a 100 ft leader if you want and when the slide diver trips it slides down to within 5 ft of the fish.  You have to learn how to let the line out but you can use any length of rod you like.

Rick  (1 old guy)

If you using a dipsey and are having trouble with the leader being to long to net a fish switch from a dipsey go to a slide diver. You can have a 100 ft leader if you want and when the slide diver trips it slides down to within 5 ft of the fish.  You have to learn how to let the line out but you can use any length of rod you like.

Rick  (1 old guy)

the shorter rods are easier to fight the fish on.  The  main  thing that people are wondering about are the dipsie lines going to cllear the rigger cables.