Tackle required for Spring Trout and Salmon Fishing

My question is about early spring time fishing for trout and salmon on the Finger Lakes.  A little back ground first, the boat I am using is a 2004 Smoker Craft 169 tiller with a 4 stroke 25 Yamaha.   Started fishing late last spring so much of the fishing was done down in the water column using dipsey drivers and other similar divers to get my spoons down to the fish.  For my first year I think we did pretty well considering Cayuga Lake is in bad shape and we did not get over to Seneca Lake as much as I wanted.  All fishing was done with braid using the charts to determine what setting and how much line to let out to get to the correct depth.  So I am really itching to start back up this spring.  So back to the question, taking into consideration the type of boat that I have and that I am generally fishing by myself, should I go with a center mast and boards or do I go with smaller boards on each rod like the walleye guys seem to do so well with?  If I go that route what size rods do I need to use?  One of the things I really did not like last year was the need to use such a big dipsey to get down to the fish therefore using a much larger rod and then not feeling the fish.  I really want to keep this a sport as I release almost everything I caught.  What about running stick baits in the spring or tandem streamers.  What about any shows / seminars coming up that might help also?  I don’t mind paying my dues and spending the time as when am on the water it is so unbelievable.  I just would like to get started in the right direction as soon as the weather breaks this spring (now ha ha ha ha!!!!).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is my first post so if it helps to provide me some information you can PM me.  Thanks Again.

I don't fish the fingers but fly solo on Big-O most of the time.  The secret to flying solo out there, believe it or not,  is boat control, regardless of what gear you have.  Myself, I occasionally use boards on my 18 ft'r, tied to my canvas frame.  But I put them both out before I send a line out as they will steer/pull the boat until the boat is "balanced."  I've tried in-lines but find they are a pain to unclip, with the other still out and trying to bring a fish in. 

As to rods, I find the 8 1/2 ft Heartlands, medium action, to be a great all around rod.  If sport, feeling the fish, etc are what's really important to you then I'd suggest you invest in riggers and use somewhat light line. 

There's a very popular section on the Finger Lakes down a little farther.  I'd suggest you go back a few pages and check out the reports from last spring/early summer.  There's a lot of good info there on the lakes you fish.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Get hooked up with people that go and ask lots of questions And drive right Past Cayuga and go to senaca.

Not exactly an optimistic statement concerning the fishing in Cayuga Lake this year and possibly for years to come?

Edited by MikeyP

If flying solo the real secret is auto pilot. I have a 23' boat and there is no easy solution to fishing alone other than having a third arm or auto pilot.  You're lucky that you have a tiller you can buy a raymarine tiller autopilot that would cost much less than one for my boat.

If you are alone get a few inline boards and rig them so there is only a swivel on the rear and set the front release to let go on a swift rip of the rod or a hit from the fish.  

Edited by Chas0218

Optimistic no. Realistic yes. Wish it wasn't I'm always headed somewhere to fish Pm me and hop on if you wish. Usually got room.

I'll probably take you up on that offer sometime this spring. The same goes here if you want to fish Ontario sometime. Thanks :yes: