Garmin 740S as a fish finder

axman977

Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting the Garmin 740S as my chartplotter/radar/sounder, but I haven't found many real world reviews as far as its fish finding capabilities.  Does anyone have experience with this unit as a fish finder?  Pros/cons?  Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience with that particular model but I have always run Garmin fish finders. I have always been impressed with them for lake Ontario fishing. Couple serious charters I know run a 12 inch Garmin now and have had good luck with them. Garmin never seems to get a fair shake in the fish finder discussions on here but I would personally not own anything but a Garmin. Just my opinion

Thanks guys.  I have always owned Garmin as well (handhelds, road units, etc.) and I am confident I will be happy with the chartplotting on this unit.  I haven't found anyone that uses it for the fish finding features yet so I figured I ask.  

How about a more generalized question.  How accurate are the combo sounders, fishfinders, chartplotters at fish finding?  Is it better to get a stand alone fish finder?