19 strand VS. 7 strand for dipsy rods?

Xxx

Since I plan to do more fishing this year than others, I want to put 2 dipsy rods together this year, all the talk about how productive they can be has me wanting to give this a go, I have 2 rods already with braid on but want to try wire for the flea season. So my question is which is easier to work with the 19 strand or the 7 and why? I just read a post that said the 19 strand is more forgiving with shorter rods. Which kinks easier and which is easier to tie. Thanks for any info, getting a little buggy sitting around while I'm healing up. Just tied some worm burner harnesses up and a few with the new Slow death hooks, and some regular 3 hook harnesses with the new circle type hooks. OH, I almost forgot one more question, I was told that fluro leader line is different than fluro fishing line is this true? if so what's the difference other than the price, I noticed that a few yards of leader material is almost as much as a 150 yards of the same name brand fluro fishing line. thanks for your help. PAP 

Thanks for the reply King Slammin, what about the leader material, do you use the leader material or the fluro fishing line? I see you have a Raymarine unit on board what unit do you have, I'm really leaning towards the dragon fly.

Edited by pap

Pap - the major difference in the fluoro leader material vs. the fluoro fishing line is increased stiffness and abrasion resistance. The fluoro fishing line is designed to be casted so it is a bit "softer" but it is not as durable. The fluro leader material is more expensive but it is also a higher quality line for some of the types of fishing we do (especially salmon on Lake O) but for lighter fishing situations in the Finger Lakes I often use the other variety because I want a little stretch and more flex in the line.

Thanks Les, that pretty well sums it up!! I guess I'll have to get some leader material, personally I didn't believe the guy, but never to old to learn, I just thought it was a convenience thing, nice big spool with a little notch in the side to put the end of the line in for the next time, type of thing, but if the leader material is better you bet I'm going that rout.  The leader material might be better for worm harnesses then?

Edited by pap

Use 50lb mono for leaders. Flouro doesn't have much stretch. Less break offs. Use flouro for the fly leaders. <br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br />

<br />

Thanks rustyrat, will do that.

Thanks for the reply King Slammin, what about the leader material, do you use the leader material or the fluro fishing line? I see you have a Raymarine unit on board what unit do you have, I'm really leaning towards the dragon fly.

You have posted about worring about tracking your cannon balls , I don't think the trasducer on the DF will do that at deep depths.................. 100% agree on the leader material for the RIGHT use

Pap,

With either wire make sure you spool it tight and keep it tight.  Check it frequently for broken strands and kinks especially near the end.  If you have any doubt, cut it out.  A kink or broken strands will lead to heartache on a strike. 

I run a dipsy out on new wire or when it gets loose on the spool, trip it and reel it in evenly, without pumping the rod to get the spool nice and tight.  Seems to work well. 

Ditto on what RR said for 50lb mono leaders.

Nothing quite like a wire line fish, you feel everything that fish does.

Pap,

With either wire make sure you spool it tight and keep it tight.  Check it frequently for broken strands and kinks especially near the end.  If you have any doubt, cut it out.  A kink or broken strands will lead to heartache on a strike. 

I run a dipsy out on new wire or when it gets loose on the spool, trip it and reel it in evenly, without pumping the rod to get the spool nice and tight.  Seems to work well. 

Ditto on what RR said for 50lb mono leaders.

Nothing quite like a wire line fish, you feel everything that fish does.

Thanks hawkeye 625 I will pay attention to the wire for pig tails and tightness of the line, I sometimes take the swivel off my mono lines and let out most of the line and just tow it around a while and then crank it back on the reel, it takes all the twist out of the line, like it's brand new again, I cant believe how just the line in the water, it pulls hard, it actually bend the rod!, after I spool the wire on I will do the same, before adding the leaders.

No leaders until after dipsey. Wire knot to coast lock snap then attach dipsey with leader same length as rod used. Hawk eye gave great advice about keeping the line spooled tight and checking for pigtails.

They don't call you the King for nothing, always willing to help and I appreciate that, so coast lock snap tied to the wire and attached to dipsy, then leader to spoon ect. what is the average leader length, the length of the rod? or less according to what the fish want, but the longest being the rod length. I can't wait to give this a go, I read so many time the dipsys out fished all other methods, thanks again. OOHH I'm going with the 19strand it seems to be the easiest to deal with and knot ability, reads better also. PAP One other thing a 30 series reel is that big enough for a 1000 feet of the 19 strand wire or should it be bigger, I have 2 Okuma cold water line counter reels they are 303D, I read that someone used these reels for steel line and dipsy diver set up, and it held enough line, is this so?

30 series reels are the norm for 1000' of wire.  Wire gives off a humm that braid does not.  Supposedly attracts salmon? 

As King said, stay around a rod length for leader.  Anything longer makes it tough for the guy trying to net your fish.  You can't reel past your dipsy and hand lining angry salmon makes for good video footage... but no fun. 

30 series reels are the norm for 1000' of wire.  Wire gives off a humm that braid does not.  Supposedly attracts salmon? 

As King said, stay around a rod length for leader.  Anything longer makes it tough for the guy trying to net your fish.  You can't reel past your dipsy and hand lining angry salmon makes for good video footage... but no fun. 

Thanks for the info, I have everything I need then, except the wire, which I'll order here shortly, now I'll have 4 dipsy rods 2 with wire and 2 with braid, can't wait to see which setups out perform the other,and maybe they will produce the same. 4 dipsys out and 2 0ff each rigger with a free slider in the mix should be interesting to say the least.

Experimentation is key. If u aren't learning, u aren't becoming a better fisherman. U will love the wire, I know I do. A bit of advice, let it out slow by loosening your drag a touch and not free spooling the reel. Alot of times my dipsies get nailed while creeping out as I'm setting my riggers. Also drop the dipsies back 15-25' each time as the day goes on until you find the sweet spot. I can't wait for spring