Biggest bass through the ice

panfisher

Was just wondering what might have been the biggest bass, large or smallie, anyone has caught through the ice. Or is that memorable enough at all. Mine was a 15 inch largemouth on Sodus Bay. No big deal, but HUGE compared to the perch and sunnies coming along. Anyone catch a real hawg, like 5lbs or more? I know Honeoye has some big ones, and so do many other places. Just wondering.....zzzzzzz  :dull:

Edited by panfisher

I caught a 4.5 pounder last weekend on a small 10 acre pond.  On my grandfather's farm pond we have caught 6 pounders all day long, but that isn't really fair it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Edited by Chas0218

Do they taste any better through the ice?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

mschrant.....never caught one early enough to know....... :speechless:     tplatt....looks like 4-5lbs....a fatty for sure!  Chaso218....is your grandpas place in Tennessee, and named Bill Dance....?  :)

Edited by panfisher

EYE SPY.....when U came upon those smallies, were U fishing for panfish with lite rigging...? If so, I'll bet that fifth one got off breaking off. Never caught a smallie through the ice, but they've got to be just as good fun as with open water casting for them.....maybe even better!......Chas0218...Aw, c'mon man! Imagine the big ole party U could throw if U tell us all where it is.....!    :dance:    :happy2:    :P                        

Edited by panfisher

Pan, actually I went 3 for 3, my dad landed 1 and popped his second one of trying to pull it up onto the ice. Had my walleye set up going, its 8lb test. After 5 fish I said let's move, they weren't turning into walleyes. Still wonder how many more I could have done if we'd have kept dropping down....

post-148205-13900912769182_thumb.jpg

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

mschrant - even the largemouths taste good when caught through the ice because the flesh is firm as contrasted with summertime when it is "mush"

I caught one pushing 5 lbs. on Butterfield Lake and a couple over 3 last week. Very common to catch them on the Indian River Lakes and St Lawrence Bays especially on late the ice.

I know it wasn't through the ice, but how about the monsters you caught on your walleye outing which was nothing short of fantastic also.

• 2 weeks later...