Dipsy Question

Nessmuk

In the end it does not matter.  No REAL difference will be realized in depth of the diver over a couple of feet of line out.....unless you are trolling in 8' FOW. 

Edited by Gill-T

In the end it does not matter.  No REAL difference will be realized in depth of the diver over a couple of feet of line out.....unless you are trolling in 8' FOW. 

Is it just a couple of feet or is it more due to the angle the line comes off the rod tip.   In my case with a 12' boat the rod is fairly close to the water.    <8' depth I guess I would be thinking side planers or flat lining?

It probably doesn't really make a big difference where it is zeroed from as long as you do the same thing each time. Secondly, if you catch a fish and then want to return to the same place it is a relative number anyway and you just return to it (assuming your boat speed etc.is the same).

I guess I was thinking in terms of getting a lure to a target depth and assume there is some inaccuracy inherent with the dipsy but not sure how much.   Seems like 2'-4' added to inaccuracy could make a difference but maybe not enough to make a significant difference.    The speed part of the equation  is probably a big deal.  I plan on using 20# mono to start with and might compare actual depth to the chart using a Fish Hawk TD probe to see if I am anywhere close.

Repeatability !!  and knowing your equipment.   If I hit a fish with 180 on the linecounter and a #3 setting .  I can put it back again or send one to that same number on the other side of the boat.  Speed , currents , boat action all effect exactly where that dipsie is in the water.