Dragonfly depth finder.

Xxx

I'm am in need of a new depth finder and really had my heart set on the new Raymarine Dragonfly. The only thing I was a little disappointed with is they were keeping the statistics under their belt, well the other day Errabbit put in a post that he thought I wouldn't be happy with it, so I bugged him with a PM about what do you know that I don't. So he sent me a copy of the owners manual and I know why he mentioned that I wouldn't be happy with it. I had made a post about being able to track my rigger weights, and a lot of you guys said you can see your rigger weight, with the Elite 7 and the HDS units, well the dragonfly is certainly not going to do what I want, or so I think, I would like to hear what your thoughts are on this. the down vision has a 60 degree cone side to side but only a 1.4 degree angle fore and aft the boat, meaning it's wide side to side but very narrow front to back only 1.4 degrees so any little blow back and your out of the ducers. range. And the sonar is only a 20 degree cone directly behind the boat, so I think that, that's minimal also the ducers with the 83/200 and even the 50/200 will show a lot more area to track you weights and scan the bottom. It seems to me this unit is for people more interested in what the bottom looks like than actually fishing the way we do on Lake O, also when fishing for lakers it's nice to track your weights when you want at be as close to the bottom as possible. Am I thinking on the right page or is new teck. stuff out of my league. just used to the old ways. any input towards this will be appreciated!! thanks PAP. PS I have no problem with going with what ever you guys think works the best. I would like to stay in the $600 to $700 area, I don't have a problem staying with the 5" screen or the Elite 7 if they have the bugs worked out, I purchased 2 of them from Cabelas and neither one worked right, one wouldn't turn on and the other never would lock on to satellites. So I put my old 727 humming bird back on but this year I want a new one!!  

Is anybody running the new elite 5 there happy with or the elite 7 the new garmin from what I gather isn't so hot either I was looking into 550 series garmins also. Anybody have some positive news on the newer units less than a grand?

Pap, I had the Elite 5 and loved it, saw they came out with the elite 7 and had to have it. Poor 5 is now on the front of my brothers ranger getting pounded and I ended up buying the 7. During this past fall though, I noticed that while running down the lake, the sensitivity would be jacked on the screen when I started trolling, to the point where I had to go back in the menu and reset it to get it to clear. I ended up sending it back, they sent me a new one no charge. Haven't tried it yet so I'll have to keep you posted. I'm a big Lowrance fan from day 1. They always seem to do right by me. I love the screen. Hope it helps

I have an elite 5 and no problems with it. Just bought an Elite 7 this winter but haven't installed it yet. Always had Lowramce products and haven't had any problems yet. Bought the 7 with an autopilot from Hodges Marine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I used to run hummingbirds, But with the dragonfly coming out it seemed to put the other guys on full alert and the new elite 5 seems to have exactly what I want, I did some research on the internal components and the new elite 5 has a lot of the goodies that the hds units have, for around $500-600 range and the ducers are the same as the hds units so I'm really leaning towards  the elite 5, I don't think lowrance can afford to screw this unit up like the 7 there are a lot of people out there disappointed with the elite 7 me for one, I had 2 that didn't work out of the box, and the guys that purchased the higher end lowrance units were lost for info on how the thing even works, with poor instructions on how to operate. I always go on the HullTruth for info on new units and there was page after page of frustration on how to operate the higher end units, granted the younger generation could walk through this no problem but us older folks get frustrated fast when we are loosing fishing time because we can't figure out how to operate a simple depth finder, We are so used to pushing one button and away we go, and from what I gather the elite series is supposed to be more simple to use, with the ability to fine tune things once we got a grip on the unit. Thanks for those that posted their thoughts PAP.

I run the HDS 5x and it works fine for fishing lake O. Cost 549.00 I believe this unit was replaced by the elite 5. Worth the money in my book.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think you are right and that's the unit I'm going to get, what ducer did you get 83/200 or 50/200 that's the only thing I can't make my mind up with yet, some say one some say the other.

I got the 50/200

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks, I was reading if you want to track your rigger weights the 50/200 is the unit you want, but others were saying they could track their weights with the 83/200 so I didn't know for sure what I wanted to do, I was leaning towards the 50 but didn't want to screw up either. Most people don't care ,but I was on a friend of a friends boat and he has all the bells and whistles and I thought being able to see the fish streak towards the bait was the coolest thing I ever witnessed, now I want one lol

I lose sight of my weights below 100' on my 5 also. When I install the new 7, I'm going to tilt 5's transducer up a bit see balls over 100'. The 5 is going to be hooked up to AP and used mainly for tracking. Never had any issues with the model I have even though its not made anymore It has the 83/200 transducer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have been running the same humminbird for 8 years and never any issues with tracking my balls down to 100'.

When in current it makes it difficult to track them no matter what fish finder you have.

I forgot to mention I run the dual beam transucer 83/200.  I am looking to upgrade to one of the 800 series with the same transducer next season. OR one of the raymarine wide screen units. 

Edited by Chas0218