Caledonia Hatchery

reelxite

Usually 2+2 makes 4. When egos,control issues, or politics are involved it may be any number. If the DEC is short of funds and/or manpower they should welcome any help. It occurs to me that there may be a bureaucratic issue involved which should be easily removable with a bit of political arm twisting. (if you can't beat them ,use them). Let's find out who can make political hay out of this issue and coddle him a bit.

That might open some new possibilities,while still not touching Caladonia.

Edited by rolmops

It makes absolutely no sense to not raise kings at Caledonia.  It is a proven successful location for producing high quality smolts and has been for decades.  Before the SR Hatchery was built in 1981 and we were getting eggs from Michigan every year, where do you think those were reared?  Even after the SRH was operational, Caledonia has always produced better quality fish.

Usually 2+2 makes 4. When egos,control issues, or politics are involved it may be any number. If the DEC is short of funds and/or manpower they should welcome any help. It occurs to me that there may be a bureaucratic issue involved which should be easily removable with a bit of political arm twisting. (if you can't beat them ,use them). Let's find out who can make political hay out of this issue and coddle him a bit.

That might open some new possibilities,while still not touching Caladonia.

Since you feel strongly about the Powder Mills Hatchery, please pursue this avenue and keep us informed on your progress. The best starting point would be Steve Lapan at Cape Vincent he is the unit leader of Lake Ontario (315)-654-2147. If it looks like a possibility of it becoming a viable option we will gladly support it. But since Caledonia has a proven track record and has the space we will still try to purse it as an option. Good Luck and please keep us up to date.

Water temperature in cold winter time from area streams and lakes results in little growth of the fish. Spring waters in winter allow growth of the hatchery fish that promotes their survival after stocking in Lake Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Caledonia was the best thing that ever happened to the west end of LO. The salmon fishing is nothing like it used to be when that hatchery was rearing the kings, especially in the fall. Don't get me wrong, fishing is still awesome, but the salmon hanging in the west end gets tough as summer progresses. I know, I know, you have been doing quite well fishing for them. I am relating to our late summer, early fall salmon stageing. Yes we have a bite and it starts to look promising, and then they are gone, heading east where they came from. I can follow these fish and see it happening, and then continue to follow them with phone calls to the east. Our fall fishing was phenomenal in front of the genny. This fishery ceased with the shut down of salmon at Caledonia in the early 2000s.  I am in full support of the Caledonia hatchery raising Chinooks again. I agree with all our eggs in one basket is stupid. What really sucks about this situation as I feel, is that steve lapan has the final word, even though thousands of people and millions of dollars would benefit. Powdermill I suppose could work, Caledonia is a proven champ.

As nice as it is to have a "bonus" slug of Kings from time to time coming from natural reproduction, hatchery contributions still rule the day. With the weather events(ice jams, flooding, complete blow-outs of streams) this year will probably not produce many wild fish. I was talking with a west coast guy yesterday, he stated they rely heavily on hatcheries there as well.

A DEC staff member told me 30 years ago, "a squeaky wheel gets the grease" when it comes to fishery issues. It's time to be proactive and enhance and PROTECT this world class fishery! 

We ( genesee charter boat association) are supposed to have the D.E.C. at one of our near future meetings to hammer them on this issue. We are always welcoming new members. We have a website to get meeting times and info. Strength is in numbers. True vince, protect is the main issue. 2 bad years of natural fish, and we will all know it.

We ( genesee charter boat association) are supposed to have the D.E.C. at one of our near future meetings to hammer them on this issue. We are always welcoming new members. We have a website to get meeting times and info. Strength is in numbers. True vince, protect is the main issue. 2 bad years of natural fish, and we will all know it.

No doubt. We need to be "nails on the chalkboard" to them. We need to focus on the second hatchery plan. They will turn deaf ears on the not very productive fall king river mouth fishery.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do you have to be a licensed capt. In order to join the GCBA and meetings? This seems like an issue to all members of our fishing community!

I don't believe so.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app