Cannon Power Cable Replacement

EKoselny

This fall I noticed that the power cables on my Cannon Mag10's were very badly dried and cracked exposing the wires in several spots. I cant find a replacement for the older style cables anywhere online, and replacing them with the newer style cables looks pretty costly. Anyone have any ideas for a replacement cable that isn't too expensive or any other recommendations for replacing the cables.

Thanks,

Eric

If replacement cables aren't an option, did you consider repair of the old ones?

Liquid tape and/or electrical tape should insulate the individual wires, assuming they are still intact. Then cover the entire cable with plastic or rubber tubing to provide protection. It won't look great, but should allow you to keep using them until you are ready to replace.

I hate to say it but the new ones are well worth the money in terms of preventing aggravation. I finally got them a couple years ago and they are far superior (much sturdier) to the old type and "safer" and will hold up for many years.

Eric, something I did to mine was to take the wire off and install a new one (outdoor electrical cord) so that it was longer and had the plug in the end. I have outlets in the back of my hull for them. Might keep your price down not sure what cannon charges for the replacement wire. It was simple and easy. Just a suggestion. Just remember not to lose track of the pos and neg leads. You will smoke the circuit board if you get it wrong.

Thanks for the replies. They are dried and cracked pretty bad so repairing them really isn't an option. I will look into trying to do something with an outdoor extension cord, but it looks like I might just have to suck it up and pay the money. That is what fishing is all about right......

Do these retro kits have the same style plugs as the ones on the old Mag10's? Can I buy just the motor side replacement and still plug it into the existing battery side plug that is already installed. Or are the plugs a newer style which means I would have to buy both ends?

Thanks,

They have somewhat different plugs and they are heavier duty all the way around....very good quality....Legacy is right bite the bullet and I'm pretty sure you will be thankful afterward. My 10A's are nearly 30 years old and still great....I replaced the older cords twice before going to these because of the same cracking problem with exposed wire and I'm convinced this will be the last time :)

Edited by Sk8man