Hydraulic steering and auto pilot

Chas0218

So im planning on upgrading my steering to hydraulic and also an auto pilot. I am torn between 2 raymarine units the evolution 100 with a hydraulic pump and the evolution unit that uses the mechanical drive. Is there a benefit to running a hydraulically incorporated autopilot than a mechanic driven unit?

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

In general I would say yes, there is a benefit to running hydraulic steering with an AP.

Not having any experience with the Raymarine units you are referring to I will leave it at that.

Good luck with your project.

Glen

I recommend a unit with a pump. I had a Raymarine X5 on my Lund which has hydraulic steering and IMO it took away the smooth part of hydraulic steering, it fact it made it quite cumberson. There are several units out there, I installed a Garmin GHP 10 which I'm very pleased with, however there are other units that others have rated highly.

Convert to hydraulic steering and you will have a much greater selection of AP's and better performance from the unit you put in.

I wouldn't say there is a "cheap " way out if you want performance.

I know plenty of guys that took the cheap route and they are happy until the wind kicks up a bit.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by spoonfed-1

What would you guys recommend? I like the raymarine units because I can layer link it with a chartplotter.

Keep in mind I'm a weekend warrior.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

I just installed the Raymarine SPX-5R last summer and the only downside I can see at this point is the noise from the helm drive unit. If you installed a hydraulic unit I don't think you would have the noise issue.

Either way I love the autopilot and the noise is a very small minor nuisance to put up with.

As for the Garmin the pump can be installed by the helm or in the stern, I've also heard good things about the simrad 2043 however I did own a  Simrad AP 12 which I would stay away from. The Raymarine X5 puts mechanics back into your system, with a pump system you can steer with one finger. Whichever one you decide on buy a cgood one and print out the installation before the purchase so you are familiar with it, mine is on a 20' Lund so it's doable on a small rig.

I have an Raymarine ST5000 (hydraulic) on a 27 Sportcraft.  it is a inboard with a cylinder turning the rudder.  It really would not matter what the cylinder turns, rudder, I/O or outboard.  The system uses another pump that takes over for the steering wheel pump when active.  No noise but you must remember to turn it off before going to the steering wheel or you will wonder why the boat won't respond to the wheel.  My previous 23' boat had the Raymarine mechanical under the steering wheel.  It worked well but was noisy.  By far, the choice would be hydraulic if you already have hydraulic steering.

I have been looking into autopilots myself, one thing I'm perplexed about is the pump, I have I guess what you would call power assist, I have a power steering pump on the motor with hard lines that go back to what looks like a miniature  hydraulic steering rack, but I have cables up to this steering wheel itself, why do you need a pump, is this so you can run the steering pump without the main engine running. Like to use the outdrive to steer easy so you can use a kicker and steer from the helm or auto pilot of your gps. One other thing I was reading was some auto pilots once below 1.5 mph cancel out and resume to 3.mph I don't want that one it was a 1000 series of some sort, which set ups do you trolling guys use, it would be nice to set all the lines as I usually only have one other guy and you know how it is, when it's just easier to do it your self, and not get frustrated before the day even starts.  Oh about the autopilot resuming to 3mph, that wouldn't happen to me because I will have to adjust my speed with the kicker, which is a 2 stroke, I have the throttle handle tighten up so it wont back off over a period of time, I had this problem before and there is adjustment for this so I just tightened the twist handle so it stays where I put it. I purchased the extension handle so it's easy to adjust for different speeds, I also saw where the auto pilots have different patterns, like zig-zag a clover leaf and other patterns that they perform automatically, I thought that would be a nice feature to have.

Edited by pap

Pap

Sounds like a mechanical assist system. Not a true hydraulic setup. Same system that I have in my boat. I have the Garmin GHP 12 with the Octopus Drive. The setup works with my twin 5.7 mercruiser EFIs. No problem up to 3.5- 4 ft waves. Works like a charm.

Thanks

Al

HOOKNUP 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pap

Sounds like a mechanical assist system. Not a true hydraulic setup. Same system that I have in my boat. I have the Garmin GHP 12 with the Octopus Drive. The setup works with my twin 5.7 mercruiser EFIs. No problem up to 3.5- 4 ft waves. Works like a charm.

Thanks

Al

HOOKNUP 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks AL, for the reply, can you get down to 1.5 and the autopilot stays on course, so you can set lines and then adjust speed, don' want to be a pain in the a$$ but I talked to different folks at West Marine and they were clueless and it's a major chunk of change were talking about, and I want to get it right the first time.

I would contact BOE Marine if you have any techinical questions. 

BOEMARINE.COM 

I bought my system from them.  They will price match anyone on the web.  I never had a good experience at West Marine. 

Saw this post ...I guess its a good one for me to chime in on.

I just purchased a 1988 280 Baha Fishermen with cable steering . It is a twin engine & has an older King ap attached to the helm that does function well. I am thinking about switching the cable system over to hydraulic. Does any one have any experience with this change over? Cost ...work involved?

I am going to mount a kicker on her next summer & want to tie the kicker to the same system ap to limit added expense & another ap unit to maintain.

Thanks for any help guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had a ray marine x-10 and hydraulic steering put in last spring. Wave height didn't matter. It worked great.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Silver Fox

Just bit the bullet and ordered the Auto Pilot and hydraulic steering from Hodges Marine.  All said and done $1700 not bad for both.  I was going to spend 2k total on the spx kit...glad I didn't

Just bit the bullet and ordered the Auto Pilot and hydraulic steering from Hodges Marine.  All said and done $1700 not bad for both.  I was going to spend 2k total on the spx kit...glad I didn't

Congrats on your purchase, are you going to install it your self, keep us posted with progress as this might be my next big purchase, thanks PAP. from what I read about them it doesn't seem to difficult, just time consuming, but you have lots of time till spring Good luck with it!!

Hydraulic was $495 and the AP was $1286.  It was 1781.13 before shipping, I guess I should have just said $1800.

I will be installing everything myself.  I will have to get all necessary tubing and fittings before I start.  I have most if it mapped out paper where everything will go but I am sure something will have to be moved one way or another. I am definitely mounting my pump in my cabin on the wall  or nearby, I will fashion a bracket to hold it horizontal so all the fittings are faced up to help with bleeding the system (this is based on a install recommendation on thehulltruth.com)  I am hoping to install this in march when the temps start to get above freezing.

I have been looking for an autopilot for about 6 months (just after I got off the water) and these are the best prices I have seen for both. I could have got the steering off ebay but I figured if I was dropping $1300 in one place they would be a little more accepting if I ran into a problem with one of the units.

Edited by Chas0218

Congats on the AP purchase.  

I installed my unit in about 6 hrs.  I reviewed the directions several times and drew my own diagram.  The hardest part for me was accessing the steering linkage behind the motor.  The anatomy of my boat does not allow easy access behind the motors.  I can troll with it down to about 1.5mph and it will hold us steady in 3.5ft waves.  

My favorite function is the U-turn.  When trolling multiple copper lines I preset it for a 10 minute u turn.  

Edited by L&M

Congats on the AP purchase.  

I can troll with it down to about 1.5mph and it will hold us steady in 3.5ft waves.  

My favorite function is the U-turn.  When trolling multiple copper lines I preset it for a 10 minute u turn.  

That is great to hear I will do the majoirty of my fishing around 2 mph, maybe a little faster.  Do you need the raymarine/gps connection to use the U-turn feature?