3 and 5 year licenses and crossbows

tbulhead

I don't live in NY. or I would look this info up myself, but is there a discount for purchasing a 3 or 5 year non-resident fishing license? Thanks PAP.

Crossbows experiment ended last year.

From the DEC page.

Crossbows No Longer Legal Hunting Implements in New York State

The law that formerly allowed big game hunting with crossbows was written with an expiration date of December 31, 2012. As the law has expired, crossbows are not currently legal hunting implements in New York State.

The 3 and 5 year licenses sound like PA to me.  Are you referring to NY or PA?  That would make sense where the crossbow information came in too.

You are right.  This is from an email I got this morning.

Subj: Re: Crossbows

The attached document contains the crossbow provisions from the Governor's budget proposal. It also contains several other provisions for sportsmen. In general, the provisions do the following:

1. Authorizes the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to offer promotional reduced cost licenses up to ten days per year and to designate up to eight free sport fishing days per year (the goal here is to promote fishing in NYS during times of low license sales)  

2. Creating three- and five-year hunting, fishing and trapping licenses, and reducing the price of a seven-day fishing license ( Three year licenses will be reduced $5.00 for residents and $10.00 for non residents.  5 year licenses will be reduced $10.00 for resident and $40.00 for non residents.  The seven day fishing license will go from $13.00 to $12.00 for residents and $31.00 to $28.00 for  non residents)

3. Authorizes DEC to establish regulations allowing individuals to hunt big game or small game with a crossbow. (See the highlighted text on Page #39 in the attached document)

4. Reducing the distance from an occupied structure from 500 feet to 150 feet for discharge of a crossbow or longbow.

5. Clarifying the liability of owners, lessees and occupants whose property is used by the public for recreational activities.

Here's the new 2014 fees for resident/non-resident sportsmen/women (these are the actual and not proposed fees for 2014):

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/95007.html

Not to step on the toes of my out of state brethren, but it really irritates me that non-resident folks will now get hundreds of dollars in discounts on their licenses, but I will save a whopping dollar or two when you add it all up.

As a resident taxpayer of this state, I'm furious that non income and property tax paying non-residents can hunt and fish here at a discount.....

Chris

The 3 and 5 year licenses sound like PA to me.  Are you referring to NY or PA?  That would make sense where the crossbow information came in too.

yup.  looks like PA. http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/licenses.html

Getting a 5 year non-res license is what?  $8-9 cheaper?  eh.  Guess it's OK but I'd have to live closer to PA and especially wander into PA waters while fishing quite frequently.

But, on a NY note, fishing licenses are getting cheaper.  Not too ofter NY drops prices on anything.  :yes:

Getting a 5 year non-res license is what?  $8-9 cheaper?  eh.  Guess it's OK but I'd have to live closer to PA and especially wander into PA waters while fishing quite frequently.

:yes:

No, no, no - take a look at the non-resident archery, muzzleloading, turkey - we're talking hundreds cheaper when you add it all up

No, no, no - take a look at the non-resident archery, muzzleloading, turkey - we're talking hundreds cheaper when you add it all up

I get where you're coming from and understand.  I was only talking about the fishing side though.  It does kind of suck (for NY res) that the non res side is getting a huge diacount and that we will be paying for it in the long run.  Any idea what their resoning was?

I get where you're coming from and understand.  I was only talking about the fishing side though.  It does kind of suck (for NY res) that the non res side is getting a huge diacount and that we will be paying for it in the long run.  Any idea what their resoning was?

No clue but my guess is Cuomo is trying to attract out of state folks (and make it more attractive for tourism) in any way he can as many New Yorkers are leaving in droves......

true.  Probably hoping people spend the money they saved on merch., hotels, whatever.....But I'm sure most out of state hunters/fisher already have a cabin or camper and won't spend more than what they already do.  Best hope for that are the 1, 3, or week licenses holder spend more, but that won't account for a drop in the bucket compared to what we will lose.

Edited by orangediablo

Crossbows have no place in archery season. Wouldn't mind the use during reg season so much.

I agree unless the person has an underlying disability that renders them unable to pull and hold a compound.

Sent from my thinking chair...

5 year fishing license? It would certainly help me avoid that embarrassing moment in October where I wake up early to go fishing with a buddy and suddenly

remember...crap, I'm out of date.....

Would save me 4 years of beating my head against a wall....

I agree unless the person has an underlying disability that renders them unable to pull and hold a compound.

x3

However, archery season is more than just killing a deer, it's the time and dedication to develop the skills to shoot a bow properly which takes years of practice. I'd argue someone could learn to be deadly with a scoped crossbow in 10 minutes. 

I agree that your argument is sound except that I disagree with the definition of what archery is.  For those of you that use compounds, shouldn't you be using long bows?  I mean that would keep it pure - this is the argument.  From my understanding from a professional shooter, the compounds have surpassed the crossbows in technology.  Just saying.  I hear your point all the time and i get it.  I just think the logic is flawed.  It is like the group that believes using live bait to fish is cheating.

It is plausible to think that they are considering crossbows as an implement to sell more licenses.  I always say follow the money.

I do not own a crossbow.  I own 2 compounds.  If this becomes legaized, I will get a compound and not feel bad about using it.

They use the same technology yes but for someone to sit and wait with the weapon cocked and all you need to go is raise the crosshairs onto the animal and pull the trigger isn't bow hunting. That's almost like saying they used to use flint locks that should be the only gun used during gun season. They made a separate season for black powder and modern sporting rifles as they should have and allow crossbow during gun or black powder.

I shot a crossbow last year for the first time and almost robin hooded an arrow at 50 yards. I never touched one before I cocked it loaded the shaft and let her fly. It takes next to no skill other than a steady rest to shoot.

Edited by Chas0218

I'm a out of state fisherman, I would of preferred they kept the licenses at $70.00 and give the state the $50.00 and the other $20.00 to fund another hatchery in the western part of the state instead of the whole lake relying on the Salmon River Hatchery. There are a lot of us and the funding would of put a ton of cash in the hands of the folks that keep the fishery as great as it is. I know my uncles and other guys wouldn't have a problem with that theory, that way it would help everybody out, like one posted us who have been using the lake for years already have a place to stay, we have a camper in the Black River Camp Grounds, we cook our own meals, the only thing we spend money on is fuel and live bait. So my assumption is somebody dropped the ball with dropping the fishing licenses, thinking it will draw more out of state folks, to boost the economy buy using motels and restaurants, we do use the local grocery store for our needs, we don't drag food along but that's it. First of all Dexter only has 1 motel and all the rooms are taken by the military guys from Fort Drum, so there are lots of motels in Water Town, but it's a drive to the lake everyday, ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess. We get a $20.00 break and the locals get a whopping $1.00 break, I don't blame you guys that are bitter with your governor.

Chris non-residents do not vote for your lawmakers It's up to your and your fellow citizens to bring about change that you want. Been buying NY fishing license for years, if it were to double I wouldn't like it one bit but would still plunk done the money for it. Still very little cost compared to other money I spend when fishing Lake O and Salmon River.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They use the same technology yes but for someone to sit and wait with the weapon cocked and all you need to go is raise the crosshairs onto the animal and pull the trigger isn't bow hunting.

Good point.  I can accept that as an advantage crossbow, but not a definition of "not" bowhunting. 

I had this debate a couple years ago with a few purists and it is the same outcome.  A cross bow is cheating.  Very strong feelings about it too.  I believe it will open up hunting areas that were previously harder to hunt because of dwellings.  Not everybody will want to use a bow but maybe a bow that looks and feels like a gun will be of interest to them.  Anyways, MHO they could split the bow season and let people use the crossbow the second half.  Doesn't matter to me regardless.  Besides, The definition will change when they (The Man) want it to.  Kinda like pot.  It use to be an evil drug - now not so much.  Same plant - different generation.  Smoke poles, Pistols, Single Shots I have seen them all used during regular gun season.  It was treated as a preference.  I still use my 1100 instead of my 30-06 during deer season because I really like my 1100 not because I think the rifle allows me any unfair advantage.  I guess what I am saying is I lack the strong feelings about the different killling methods.  I am honestly indifferent to whatever changes they make to the current bow season.

I e-mailed a guy I know who takes this seriously and this is his response.  All I asked him was to give me the pros and cons Cross vs compound.  Here is his response...

Joe,

So I have had this discussion with a lot of people and on the moral side of things it turns into an opinion.  I strongly encourage any able bodied person that wants to hunt archery should use a compound.  Compound bow hunting is what archery hunting is all about.  Putting in the time with your bow before season so your ready when it comes time to take the shot, makes a dedicated archer in my eyes.  Now as for pros and cons on the facts of each:

Crossbows: Pros - have a slightly longer range for the average shooter, easier to be accurate, do not require much practice or prep for season, faster

Cons – much louder, takes longer to load and reshoot if you get the opportunity, heavy

Compounds: Pros – lighter, able to be dead silent, average equipment and accessories tend to be cheaper, more able to be “tweaked†to the shooter, fun to shoot if you have the time

Cons – range is limited to less than 30-40 yards for the average shooter, takes a significant amount of time to get fluent with, slower speed = less kinetic energy

Just names a few.  In the end it is all up to the shooter and how much time and effort they want to put into it.  I shoot compound for hunting and competition so I’m pro compound and feel if you can shoot it then you should, if you are unable and want to hunt archery then that’s where crossbows have their place.

Dom: I hear ya I like the change too, I'm thinking just about every outdoors man that travels to NY like it...NY is a great state to fish & hunt..I'm form NJ, traveled to NY for fishing mostly since 1964, my best days afield have passed me by now..But i luv hearing you fellas discuss tactics about fishing and whats going in NY from the outdoor world....Heres a question for you guys----I've asked in at least 6 states and never got an answer..Also I didn't ask it to be smart either..Does it cost more to raise  the fish that I catch when I come to NY than the fish that the resident anglers catch..If cost is the same why does every state charge the non resident more..Just something to kick around....About cross bows,  I asked years ago..Cross bows and long bows were around hundreds of years b4 compound bows were created...Why make crossbow illegal?  I hear that the female hunters and aging male hunters like them in the states that have legalized them..I have this feeling they will be here to stay...