I was wondering if anyone uses scent and if yes, how? If salmon can find their way back to their spawning grounds by their sense of smell, I'd think scent would be a big plus while trolling. We've got flashers to attract them, echips to trigger strikes, why not scent? Thanks for your input in advance.

I've used it off and on for many years. Usually the spray on shad scent just because I can buy it easily but I think herring scent is better if you can find it. I spray it on both the flasher/spinneys and spoons and fly heads. I also spray the stuff on the inside lids of my lure boxes periodically so that it masks other scents.

Edited by Sk8man

Esp. for Lakers scent matters.  I typically have a gulp twister tail grub body trailing a peanut head behind cowbells.  The problem with adding scent to your baits is what does it smell like the following week?  Bad smells are a deterrent.  One of the most powerful aphrodisiac is salmon skein.....and if you have fished with it you know the greasy stuff is very difficult to clean up.  Fishing off the piers in September I will rub my spoons with skein juice.  I will often dip the tail of a J-plug in the stuff also.  For trolling lures and flies I place an open container of Berkley power bait putty in each lure box.